turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i put in my childcare expenses

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RyanH2

To enter your childcare expenses, please refer below.

To Add a Childcare Provider in TurboTax Online:

1. Go to "Federal Taxes" at the top of the screen

2. Select "Deductions & Credits"

3. Scroll down to "You and Your Family" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Start" next to "Child and Dependent Care Credit"

5. Select "Yes" to "Did you pay for child or dependent care in 2016?"

6. Select "Continue" on the Add Dependents page and proceed to enter your info for the credit

For general information on the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit visit this link: Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

View solution in original post

9 Replies
RyanH2

To enter your childcare expenses, please refer below.

To Add a Childcare Provider in TurboTax Online:

1. Go to "Federal Taxes" at the top of the screen

2. Select "Deductions & Credits"

3. Scroll down to "You and Your Family" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Start" next to "Child and Dependent Care Credit"

5. Select "Yes" to "Did you pay for child or dependent care in 2016?"

6. Select "Continue" on the Add Dependents page and proceed to enter your info for the credit

For general information on the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit visit this link: Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

But the dependent that I need to add expenses for is not listed on the drop down menu?? Help!

CHILD AND DEPENDENT CARE CREDIT

One of the most common mistakes that messes up the childcare credit for people is listing all of the earned income under only one name on a joint return.  Make very sure that your incomes are listed under each of your names.  It’s pretty easy to check.  Go to the Income section, and click “update” on Wages and Salary.  That will take you to the W-2 Summary.  Do you see income listed under both of your names? 

A few other things—the childcare credit is not a refund.  It can reduce your taxes owed.  If you were self-employed, but showed a loss, you will not receive the credit. 

The person receiving the care had to be 12 or under or qualified as mentally or physically disabled. To claim the childcare credit you need to be filing as Head of Household or Married Filing Jointly. (NOT married filing separately)

If your child was born in 2017 make sure you say the child lived with you all year. The credit is a percentage of your expenses based on your AGI (the higher the income, the lower the percentage)  You must provide the Social Security number for each child you are claiming, and the Social Security number or Tax ID for each care provider.  You can claim a maximum of $6000 in expenses for 2 or more dependents.

*You can see the amount of the childcare credit you received on line 31 of your 1040A, or on line 49 of your 1040.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you!

Thank you for your response.  I checked and the income is under 2 W2s, one for me and one for my spouse.  My son is 12 during half of the year in 2017, and 13 during the other half.  But I thought at least I could deduct the portion when he was 12.

Sorry--it does not work that way.  If he turned 13 in 2017 you cannot get the childcare credit for 2017.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AHelper
Expert Alumni

If you have no tax due, it is a non-refundable credit. It can bring your amount owed to zero, but it does not become a refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am trying to add an additional daycare to the list, but it does not give me the option to do it. Where do i add the daycare so I can put in the deduction?

@mounttaineer wrote:

I am trying to add an additional daycare to the list, but it does not give me the option to do it. Where do i add the daycare so I can put in the deduction?

To enter, edit or delete Child and Dependent Care expenses -

Click on Federal Taxes
Click on Deductions & Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Under You and Your Family
On Child and Dependent Care Credit, click on the start or update button

Or enter child care deductions in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to child care deductions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies