Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

the irs is asking me to fill out form 8812

@MarcyRo wrote:

I am stuck on this same predicament and cannot find a way out of it.  Any clues, Intuit??

Assuming you do not have any dependent children -

Everyone is being asked this question since TurboTax does not know if the user was one who received these advances from the IRS in 2021.

Enter a 0 (zero) when asked to enter a number on the Schedule 8812. This will correct the issue and remove the Schedule 8812 from your tax return so that you can file the return.

I entered a zero and it says it's an error (box turns pink). I can't delete the form and I didn't fill in the box for Child Tax Credit. This is for my 92 year mother and I've always done her taxes and have never applied for the credit.

(edit) I Tried it again with the zero and it worked.

Derby06

I have the same issue - No children, but TurboTax Deluxe Smart Check is stating I need to enter Advance Payments received in Schedule 8812.  This Schedule does not apply to me and I did not enter any information regarding Dependents or Children in my return.   I did see one User suggested going to Tools to delete Schedule 8812, but I can not locate Tools.    TurboTax Experts, please advise how to correct/delete this form so I can proceed with my taxes.  

@Derby06 wrote:

I have the same issue - No children, but TurboTax Deluxe Smart Check is stating I need to enter Advance Payments received in Schedule 8812.  This Schedule does not apply to me and I did not enter any information regarding Dependents or Children in my return.   I did see one User suggested going to Tools to delete Schedule 8812, but I can not locate Tools.    TurboTax Experts, please advise how to correct/delete this form so I can proceed with my taxes.  

Everyone is being asked this question since TurboTax does not know if the user was one who received these advances from the IRS in 2021.

Enter a 0 (zero) when asked to enter a number on the Schedule 8812. This will correct the issue and remove the Schedule 8812 from your tax return so that you can file the return.

hhhgg
Returning Member

why I am 78 years old and filling single

@hhhgg wrote:

why I am 78 years old and filling single

hhhgg
Returning Member

I tried what you said to do many, many, many times.  This doesn't work.  Tell me something else to do.

Thanks

I don't have a form 8812.  did not receive any assistance payment in 2021 yet smart check is telling me I have a 8812 error.  I already deleted the form yet the error persists 

@melwil wrote:

I don't have a form 8812.  did not receive any assistance payment in 2021 yet smart check is telling me I have a 8812 error.  I already deleted the form yet the error persists 

Hello, I tried that but the error persisted.  Must be a bug in the software.

RaifH
Expert Alumni

In 2021, everyone is being asked to confirm that they did not receive any Advanced Child Tax Credit payments even if they are not claiming any children on their return. To confirm you did not receive any advance payments:

1. In the Federal section of your return, go to Deductions & Credits
  2. Scroll down to You and Your Family and click Revisit/Start next to Advance payments, Child and Other Dependent Tax Credits
  3. Click Continue
  4. Answer Let's start with where you spent the most time in 2021.
  5. Answer No to Did you receive any advance Child Tax Credit payments in 2021?

@melwil @hhhgg @Derby06

Goldendoodle-1
Returning Member

My 8812 nightmare won't even let me insert a zero! I've tried to delete the form.....but it's still there when I go back to complete the review. We have no children & have never filed any IRS form dealing with children.....how do I get rid of this form?????

@Goldendoodle-1

Everyone has to answer whether they received advance child tax credit payments.   If you did not receive any of those payments between July and December you need to answer that you did not receive any payments.

There are so many scenarios with those payments---like divorced/never married parents who have issues over who received the payments, who claimed the children, etc. --- the software has no way of knowing if any of that involves you---so you have to answer the questions about it. 

Please follow these steps to indicate you did not receive any advanced payments:

1. Click on the "Search" on the top and type "Child tax credit"
  2. Click on “Jump to Child Tax Credit”
  3. Continue through the questions until the "Tell us about any advance Child Tax Credit payments" screen and select "No".
  4. Continue through the questions.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ron1944

When my personal information reflects that I am filing a joint return with no other dependents, it is very confusing to have the TurboTax software insisting on filing a form that doesn't apply.  It also eats up a lot of customers time who try to report their situations accurately.

During Review I was told I must enter advance payments received for Schedule 8812.  We have no dependents. I researched questions under support and someone said fill it in with 0.00 and it won't affect anything and work. So I did, then during state review I was asked to do something with schedule 8812 again.   I researched support again and was told to delete Schedule 8812 so I did.  I continued with review again and am right back where I started asking for advance payments in federal review even though the schedule is gone.    I'M STUCK GETTING THROUGH THE REVIEW PROCESS.   I've been working on this for 2 days and going crazy.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies