turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus

I mistakenly included a Stimulus check I got back this January in my 2020 tax returns. I’ve already submitted my taxes. Do I file an amendment now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Stimulus

You do not need to file an amended return now.  You must wait until the original return is accepted or rejected on February 12.  If your return is rejected, you can make the correction using these instructions:

1. Log into Turbotax
  2. Click Federal Review ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount")
  3. Click Continue
  4. Click "Yes" and fill in the correct information

If accepted, most likely, the IRS will detect that you received your stimulus payment and adjust your refund accordingly.  If the IRS does not auto-correct your refund, you must file an amended income tax return and pay back the difference. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stimulus

Thank You!

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Stimulus

@Nawtaka21  

You do not need to file an amended income tax return. If you've already e-filed your tax return but need to make some changes to the Stimulus amount, we would like to give you the opportunity to review and update the Recovery Rebate Credit portion of your 2020 tax return before the IRS opens on February 12th. 

If you want to review and update your 2020 return:

1. Please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you. 
  2. You will then receive an email from TurboTax on February 8, letting you know that your return is available and providing you with detailed instructions on how to review, update and re-file your tax return without the Recovery Rebate Credit.

To quickly get to the stimulus section of TurboTax:

1. Search for stimulus and select the jump-to link at the top of the search results to return back to the section.
  2. Enter your updated info and Continue.

Note: Stimulus payments were advances on the Recovery Rebate Credit. Stimulus payments are not taxable income to you so you won't be taxed on the amount you receive. It won’t reduce your refund or increase what you owe when you file your taxes this year. It’s also not considered income, so it won’t affect your eligibility for any federal government assistance or benefits. To review the TurboTax FAQ, click here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stimulus

@Nawtaka21    YOU HAVE NOTHING TO AMEND ....  both stimulus payments (including any received in Jan 2021) had to be reported on the 2020 tax return since they were both advances of the 2020 credit ... so if you entered the second stimulus payment as directed you did the return correctly.  

stimulus Q second payment.png

Manage cookies