Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

Received 2019, Sch K-1, Form 1041, from estate CPA. I am a beneficiary. Box 11A shows Final year Deduction of $36,000. CPA states this is a Miscellaneous Deduction, Line 16, not subject to the 2% limitation. How do I make this entry in Turbo Tax? I'm using Turbo Tax Deluxe.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

@Temecularevev wrote:

CPA states this is a Miscellaneous Deduction, Line 16, not subject to the 2% limitation. How do I make this entry in Turbo Tax? I'm using Turbo Tax Deluxe.

Miscellaneous deductions were eliminated upon the passage of tax reform (TCJA). The only line on which to enter a Schedule A deduction would be Line 16 and the IRS instructions limit the deductions on that line to those listed below.

• Gambling losses (gambling losses include, but aren't limited to, the cost of non-winning bingo, lottery, and raffle tickets), but only to the extent of gambling winnings reported on Schedule 1 (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), line 8.

• Casualty and theft losses of income-producing property from Form 4684, lines 32 and 38b, or Form 4797, line 18a.

• Federal estate tax on income in respect of a decedent.

• A deduction for amortizable bond premium (for example, a deduction allowed for a bond premium carryforward or a deduction for amortizable bond premium on bonds acquired before October 23, 1986).

• An ordinary loss attributable to a contingent payment debt instrument or an inflation-indexed debt instrument (for example, a Treasury Inflation-Protected Security).

• Deduction for repayment of amounts under a claim of right if over $3,000. 

• Certain unrecovered investment in a pension.

• Impairment-related work expenses of a disabled person.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040sca#idm140577498784400

If your CPA is insistent that the expense is deductible on Line 16 of Schedule A but it does not fit into one of the enumerated categories (perhaps it is deductible as a Section 212 expense), then you can enter that expense directly on Schedule A in Forms Mode, which mode is only available in the desktop products, not in the online versions.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

Schedules K-1 are not supported in TurboTax Deluxe.  Schedules K-1 are supported in Premier or Self-Employed.

To enter Schedule K-1 Estates or trusts information, follow these steps.

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click Income & expenses.
  • At the screen Your Income and expenses, scroll down to Schedule K-1.
  • Click on Edit / Add to the right.
  • At the screen Tell us about your schedule K-1, click Update to the right of Estates or trusts (form 1040).
  • Enter information about the schedule K-1.  Continue through several screens.
  • At the screen Check boxes that have an amount click the box 11.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Enter box 11 info, enter the correct values.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

Thanks for the reply/answer. But I can not find anyway to upgrade from Deluxe. All the "Helps" say there should be an "Upgrade" link when I'm at my tax return. Using Windows, full screen. Any suggestions?

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

@Temecularevev wrote:

CPA states this is a Miscellaneous Deduction, Line 16, not subject to the 2% limitation. How do I make this entry in Turbo Tax? I'm using Turbo Tax Deluxe.

Miscellaneous deductions were eliminated upon the passage of tax reform (TCJA). The only line on which to enter a Schedule A deduction would be Line 16 and the IRS instructions limit the deductions on that line to those listed below.

• Gambling losses (gambling losses include, but aren't limited to, the cost of non-winning bingo, lottery, and raffle tickets), but only to the extent of gambling winnings reported on Schedule 1 (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), line 8.

• Casualty and theft losses of income-producing property from Form 4684, lines 32 and 38b, or Form 4797, line 18a.

• Federal estate tax on income in respect of a decedent.

• A deduction for amortizable bond premium (for example, a deduction allowed for a bond premium carryforward or a deduction for amortizable bond premium on bonds acquired before October 23, 1986).

• An ordinary loss attributable to a contingent payment debt instrument or an inflation-indexed debt instrument (for example, a Treasury Inflation-Protected Security).

• Deduction for repayment of amounts under a claim of right if over $3,000. 

• Certain unrecovered investment in a pension.

• Impairment-related work expenses of a disabled person.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040sca#idm140577498784400

If your CPA is insistent that the expense is deductible on Line 16 of Schedule A but it does not fit into one of the enumerated categories (perhaps it is deductible as a Section 212 expense), then you can enter that expense directly on Schedule A in Forms Mode, which mode is only available in the desktop products, not in the online versions.

sparkydj
Returning Member

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

I use Turbo Tax Premier desktop.  When I entered the data from the Schedule K-1, I received from Mother's estate, line 11A ended up as income on 1040 line10.  I e-filed my taxes before I realized this was not correct.  Now I need to amend my 2022 return, but cannot find the place to make this amendment.

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

@sparkydj

Form 1040 Line 10 comes from Schedule 1 and is the total of all adjustments to income. Are you certain the amount from Schedule K-1 Box 11 Code A should not be reported on Schedule 1 under Other adjustments?

Additional info: How to Amend (Change or Correct) a Return You Already Filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

Line 11A represents Section 67(e) expenses and should most likely wind up on Line 24k of Schedule 1.

sparkydj
Returning Member

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

Line 24k is where it is on my 1040.  However, it came over as an addition to my income.  According to Turbo Tax website, it should be a deduction from my income.  The website also states that the laptop program was not corrected when the the government decided to allow this as a deduction on estate beneficiary's taxes.  This is why I need to amend my return.

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

@sparkydj wrote:

Line 24k is where it is on my 1040.  However, it came over as an addition to my income. 

There must have been another income item on the K-1 (or elsewhere).

On a test return, the figure on Line 11A appeared on Line 24k of Schedule 1; there was no figure on Line 10.

sparkydj
Returning Member

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

There was also a deduction 11D on the estate K-1.  It came over to 1040 as a negative amount.

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

@sparkydj wrote:

There was also a deduction 11D on the estate K-1.  It came over to 1040 as a negative amount.

That is a long-term capital loss carryover which should appear on Schedule D.

sparkydj
Returning Member

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

Yes, that is where 11D is.  I have not found on Turbo Tax amending return to make the correction to have 11A be a deduction for amending return.

sparkydj
Returning Member

Sch K-1, 1041, Line 11A

@JamesG1

I use Premier for laptop/disc.  The program does not put the K-1 line 11A in the 1040's form as a deduction.  I didn't realize this until after I had already filed my return.  Turbo Tax laptop will not let me amend my return to show 11A as a deduction.  Right now, I am disappointed in Turbo Tax laptop.  Just thought I would let you know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies