Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CaptainAl22
Returning Member

Rerurned RMD

I received a 1099-R showing my RMD distribution from my IRA.  The RMD distribution was returned to the IRA.  Where do I input the returned RMD distribution in Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

Rerurned RMD

Since there is no RMD required for 2020,  after you enter the 1099R say it was NOT an RMD and then that you rolled it over (even if back into the same account).  Was any withholding taken out?  If it was then did you replace the withholding with your own money?  Otherwise the withholding will be a taxable distribution itself.

CaptainAl22
Returning Member

Rerurned RMD

The 1099-R is for a distribution from an IRA.  How do you enter into TurboTax that it was returned?  There was no withholding taken out.

Rerurned RMD

Didn't you understand my answer above?  

Since there is no RMD required for 2020 then after you enter the 1099R say it was NOT an RMD and then that you rolled it over (even if back into the same account). It will show as income on the Turbo Tax Summary or Review so check the actual 1040. The amount should be on line 4a say ROLLOVER by the taxable line 4b.

Rerurned RMD

Here, I made you 3 screen shots

RMD.jpgRMD2.jpgRMD3.jpg

Rerurned RMD

I am using the PC version of TT and I don't get that screen asking about a rollover.  No matter how I enter it, as RMD or not as RMD, when I got to Forms, it still shows as taxable income on the 1040 line 4b.

What am I missing?

Rerurned RMD

Is it an inherited IRA?  I think that is quirky.   @dmertz 

Rerurned RMD

Mine is an inherited IRA, as well.

Rerurned RMD

@BarryK123 wrote:

I am using the PC version of TT and I don't get that screen asking about a rollover.  No matter how I enter it, as RMD or not as RMD, when I got to Forms, it still shows as taxable income on the 1040 line 4b.

What am I missing?

The only way you would not see the following screen in the desktop editions is if you indicated this was from a Non-Qualified Plan if this is a pension or annuity.  

If from an IRA you would have to indicate that this distribution was transferred to a qualified charity.

Roll Over TTD 2020.JPG

dmertz
Level 15

Rerurned RMD

You could try deleting and reentering the 1099-R if you have not already done so.  Be sure to indicate the none of the distribution was RMD even if the original intent of the distribution was to be an RMD.  RMDs were waived for 2020.

Rerurned RMD

Yes, it was necessary to delete and re-enter the info.  Simply editing the already entered info didn't work.  Thanks.

CaptainAl22
Returning Member

Rerurned RMD

The answer is the Distribution Code in Box 7 of the 1099-R should be an "N" and not a "7"

I enter data on the Forms.

dmertz
Level 15

Rerurned RMD

Code N has nothing to do with a returned RMD.  You cannot use code N.  You must use the code that is present in box 7 of the Form 1099-R provided by the payer.

CaptainAl22
Returning Member

Rerurned RMD

Where on the 1099-R entry form do you say it is not an RMD?  I enter it directly into the TT form.

Rerurned RMD

@CaptainAl22 wrote:

Where on the 1099-R entry form do you say it is not an RMD?  I enter it directly into the TT form.

After you have completed entry of the form there are a series of pages to go through.  One will ask if this was a RMD.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies