turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2018 Home & Business has chosen Standard Deduction, but I want to switch to Itemized Deduction. No check box to change the option. How to change deductions?

I am using TurboTax 2018 Home & Business. TurboTax has chosen Standard Deduction, but I want to switch to Itemized Deduction. Following instruction in the Help forum, I get to the screen where Turbotax says "You are getting Standard Deduction", but I do not have a check box to change the option on deductions. How to change deductions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

TurboTax 2018 Home & Business has chosen Standard Deduction, but I want to switch to Itemized Deduction. No check box to change the option. How to change deductions?

Please see screenshots below.

Please read this TurboTax FAQ for additional information on "How do I change from the standard deduction to itemized (or vice-versa)?": How do I change from the standard deduction to itemized (or vice-versa)?

Ivy1

I've read (and re-read) the FAQ in the link below - and am not getting to any option that allows me to change the standard deduction.  All I get is the sentence below - and no where can I find a checkbox or anything else that would allow me to change to itemized.  This is nuts!!

clipboard_image_0.png

Are your Itemized Deductions more than 24,000?

If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and  not showing you Schedule A you can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using by going to

Tax Tools on left

Tools - Topic Search (top left box)

Type in  itemized deductions, choosing.  It should highlight that in the list, click on GO

Then Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-item...

This year deductions are changing and several will be limited.  There is a max 10,000 limit of State, local, property, and sales tax (SALT) deduction.  And employee job expenses have been suspended.  You can only deduct Medical/Dental that's over 7.5% of your AGI.

FAQ on 2018 changes

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-reform/help/how-will-tax-reform-affect-my-federal-tax-return/0...

Deductions that have been suspended for 2018

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-reform/help/which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-b...

HOW TO FORCE ITEMIZED DEDUCTIONS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900142-how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-itemized-or...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Ivy1

I do not see a SEARCH option anywhere.  When I click TOOLS, I get a sub-menu that has a TOPIC LIST item, but there is no search capability.  There is a SHOW TOPIC LIST button - but it displays the same info as the TOPIC LIST.    There is no search function on the topic list.

When I got to the Deductions & Credits tab - there is not option to "explore on my own" either.

@Ivy1 

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday - Friday.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies