turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lorala-

If my employer included charity in Box 14 of the W-2, should I include it even if I added it in the Charitable Donations section?

I ask because the charity amount stated in the W-2 does not match what I have in my records, which is what I put in the Charitable Donations section.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

If my employer included charity in Box 14 of the W-2, should I include it even if I added it in the Charitable Donations section?

No, you can't include it again, but you can include the difference for the contributions - if your records show a smaller amount than the W-2 box 14, for example. You may enter the difference as a separate donation or adjust the original donation to the amount listed on form W-2.

lorala-

Thank you!
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You are welcome!

Please forgive me. I didnt quite understand.

My goal is to work 30 hours per week, and donate 100 percent of my salary back to the nonprofit, does this thread still apply to me?

The 501 (c )3 Non profit cannot afford to pay me now but they will in the future. I will donate my salary until they can pay me as a full time employee . Thanks for your help.

Please explain--"donate my salary"  .  If they are not paying you, you are not receiving a salary.   If you are donating your time and your work, there is nothing you can deduct for your time as a volunteer except any incidental expenses you incur during your work as a volunteer.

If they pay you actual money and you give it back to the charity, maybe you will have a donation to enter on a tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for your reply and I apologize for my lack of clarity.

Yes. I mean "give the money back.” The Non profit has no funds to pay me. To be bluntly honest, I am interested because my school loans will be waived if I work for non profit for ten years. I do not mind working 30 hours a week, giving my salary back to the nonprofit until they find funds to pay me. I don't want tax deductions. I need W2 forms to share with the IRS, proving that I work at a 501 (c)3 nonprofit. I am hoping to help children (a second job) while getting rid of these annoying school loans. I just need a job at a Nonprofit and I will be set. I hope this makes more sense and thanks in advance.

You better ask the non profit how that's going to work.  How can they give you a W2 if they don't pay you?  Then  they will still have to pay the FICA (SS & Medicare) tax on it.

You mean like if W2 box 1 is 5,000 and they keep it as a deduction on box 14? And you pay tax on 5,000 of income?

margopat

Need to correct W2 Retire charity, how do I get back to W2 Info

margopat

How can I correct amount o. Return

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Go to:

1. Federal 
  2. Wages and Income.
  3. Wages and Salaries

4. Form W2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies