Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Next year when I file my income taxes, it will be the first year I have owned a house. There is no mortgage - the house is mine. Do I have to enter it when I file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Next year when I file my income taxes, it will be the first year I have owned a house. There is no mortgage - the house is mine. Do I have to enter it when I file?

The purchase of a personal residence, not used in a business or as a rental, is not reported on a federal tax return.

The property taxes paid can be entered as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.  However, if the total of all your itemized deduction are less than the Standard Deduction for your filing status there is no point in entering itemized deductions.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Just the fact that you own a house is not reported.  You may list property taxes that you pay as an itemized deduction, even if you don't also pay deductible mortgage interest.  Certain energy saving improvements may qualify for tax credits.  

The purchase of a personal residence, not used in a business or as a rental, is not reported on a federal tax return.

The property taxes paid can be entered as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.  However, if the total of all your itemized deduction are less than the Standard Deduction for your filing status there is no point in entering itemized deductions.

Carl
Level 15

You don't "have" to enter anything on your tax return concerning a primary residence you own free and clear. However, you "may" want to claim as a deduction any property taxes you pay. Property taxes will be a SCH A itemized deduction. So it may not make any difference on your tax liability. Until the total of all of your itemized SCH A deductions exceed your standard deduction, those itemized deductions have no impact on your tax liability.

With the tax law changes of 2018, it's estimated than less than 10% of tax filers will benefit from itemizing their deductions.

Thank you all!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies