turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Missing child stimulus payment

We did not get either of the stimulus payments for my child (born 12/2019) and we do qualify. There is not a place in turbo tax that addresses a child’s  stimulus payment, just for the parents/filers. Where do we add this to ensure we get the owed payments and future payments? Thanks! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for the quick reply. So do we just add his missing amount to one of ours? There is not a separate line item for him in this section. 

If you have entered your child as a dependent on your tax return and entered his SSN, the software is going to add that stimulus money to line 30 for you, unless you are not eligible..  Eligibility is based on your 2020 income.   All you have to enter is what you DID receive--not what you did not receive.   Read the questions carefully and enter the first and second stimulus amounts that you received.

If you complete those questions correctly, if you are eligible to receive the stimulus money for your child, the amount for your childl should be on line 30, and will be added to the refund amount.   Your total tax refund is on line 34----and it includes the stimulus money you should still be getting.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you. Yes. I have read the question carefully and entered what we did receive. I think the issue may be that we did not have his SSN when we filed last year, we added it after the fact and it is there now. As I stated in my previous reply there is not a space to enter what HE did (or did not receive) so I don’t believe the software can pull the info and populate what is owed as you described. I checked item 30 as suggested but there is nothing listed on our draft tax return (our return is ready to file). We absolutely qualify as I have not worked this year so our income is under the threshold. Just don’t want to file and not be able to get this money that our family is owed and very much needs. Appreciate your help. 

The stimulus is based on your 2020 eligibility now.   It has nothing to do with your 2019 tax return at this point.   

Make sure your child has been entered correctly as a dependent in My Info.   Go through the screens again and make sure you said he lived with you all year.   Check his SSN and make sure it is there.   When it asks that weird question about whether he paid for over half his own support say NO to that.  

If your child has been correctly entered as a dependent, then you should be getting the stimulus amounts for him as long as you meet the other eligibility requirements.   And again.....you are not supposed to be entering the amount you did NOT receive for him----that is not what it is asking for.   You are only supposed to enter the money you received in 2020 or early 2021.   There is not a special space to enter what you received for a child.   It asks for the amount received for stimulus #1 and then for Stimulus #2-------so if you and your spouse received $2400 for round #1, that is what you enter.   if you received less than $2400 then enter the amount you received.   For stimulus #2,which was for $600 per person----enter only what you received.  (Was it $600 per person---did you get $1200?)

Eligibility for the 1st and 2nd stimulus checks---From the IRS:

A1. Generally, if you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, you will receive an Economic Impact Payment of $1,200  ($2,400  for a joint return) if you (and your spouse if filing a joint return)  are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a Social Security number valid for employment and your adjusted gross income (AGI) does not exceed:

• $150,000  if married and filing a joint return
  • $112,500 if filing as  head of household or
  • $75,000  for eligible individuals using any other filing status
    Your payment will be reduced by 5% of  the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above.

You are not eligible for a payment if any of the following apply to you:

• You may be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s return).
  • You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
    The following are also not eligible: a deceased individual or an estate or trust.

Thank you for your help. I went back and double checked that he was entered correctly and he is.

Yes, I can confirm that the amounts you stated are what my husband and I received for both the stimulus payments. Yes, I understand we only enter what we received, nothing about that was not received. I only added that for explanation purposes for the fact we did not.

I also understand that the 2019 taxes have nothing to do with this year. From my understanding they did affect the first stimulus payments as the IRS used the information from our 2019 taxes to verify eligibility/payment. Since my son didn’t have a SSN at the time we filed, we believe that is why we didn’t receive the first one, and assume the same issue for the second as we haven’t filed for 2020 yet. For whatever reason the system is not recognizing these two “missing” stimulus payments even though he is entered with a SSN as there is no amount on line 30 or no recovery rebate credit.

Since Turbo Tax does not specifically address dependent stimulus payments or allow one to identify if something is missing  in this regard, I will have to go somewhere else to have my taxes done to ensure this gets sorted out as I don’t want to file and have to wait a year to get credit for these amounts. We assumed it would be straightforward and retro the last two payments for him but unfortunately it’s not.

I appreciate your advice and expertise. All I can think is it’s a fluke in the system due to his SSN being missing when IRS initially pulled our family data as I’ve used Turbo Tax for years and feel confident I’ve entered everything correctly. Thanks again. 

Not fixed with what was suggested as all of my information had been entered correctly. It was a hiccup in the system, as once I deleted my son as a dependent and added him again (and answered all the questions), the total amount for the stimulus payment updated to the correct amount: for all three of us. After a few more clicks the missing $1,100 was added to our tax return and we were good to go! 

created this profile just to thank you. for the life of me i could not figure out what i was doing incorrectly. followed these steps and worked like a charm. saved me a headache of filling out forms. thanks! 

dk12345

Having the same issue you all are having. I deleted my dependent and added her back but still I don't see any adjustment in our stimulus refund amount. Any other suggestions or input?

if your child was born in 2020, be sure that you answer that your child lived with you the ENTIRE year 

there is a question about whether the child provided more than 50% of his financial support; you are to answer "no" (the question is oddly worded).

you entered the child's social security number?

re-check the date of birth.....

near the end of the federal review section it will ask you to enter how much you ACTUALLY received for each stimulus payment,

Then look at Line 30 of Form 1040.  is the amount there what you are expecting? if you got paid the correct stimulus, other than one child, there should be $1100 on this line. 

i received the first stimulus check of $1200 but not my dependent child amount 

He was my dependent on my return in 2019

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The Recovery Rebate Credit will added to your tax return based on the eligibility established by your 2020 tax return.  As suggested above delete your dependent from your return and click "continue" to trigger the update.  Then go back and re-enter your dependent information and again be sure to continue through the "My Info" section to trigger the updates.  

Once that is updated you can click the "Federal Review" tab at the top of the page and go to the stimulus questions.  You will enter only the payments you have received from rounds one and/or two.  Do not enter any round three (1400) payments.  

Any missing stimulus payments will then be added to your return.  You can verify by looking at line 30 on your form 1040.  Here are the steps in TurboTax online products to see the form view.

1. Click "Tax Tools" in the left hand menu
  2. Click "Tools"
  3. Click "View Tax Summary"
  4. Click "Preview My 1040" in the left hand menu
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@pamelalipe2 - was he a dependent on your return in 2020?? that is what matters 

look on line 30 of form 1040.,.. what is listed there? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies