Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Is there an error in the "Recovery rebate credit worksheet"?

Ok that's not a good solution.  If I say Yes then the IRS is going to be looking for that amount when they get my return.  The program should ask if you are qualified for the stimulus.  If no, move on, if yes fill in the blanks.  What is this solution going to do for somebody else that runs into the same situation with Turbo Tax program?

How do I delete this tax return and start over?

There must be a reason it thinks you qualify.  Maybe your AGI is lower than you think.  Or you entered some income wrong.

If you haven't filed, registered or paid you can try to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

Or if it doesn't let you clear and you haven't paid and filed you could just start a new account.  Online is only good for 1 return per account.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

I'm using the desktop version, not the online version.  The system imported my 2020 return so I didn't enter anything.  I'm simply trying to let you know there has got to be something wrong with the code in the program.  I'll start a new return.

Then you can switch to FORMS mode and look it over and see what's on the 1040 for the AGI and if you agree with all the amounts especially for income.  And look at the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet.  What about importing 2020?  That doesn't matter now and doesn't affect the RRC.   

Starting a new return would be a good idea.

I am using the desktop editions and when I enter an AGI of $160,000 or more then question is not even asked if we received the stimulus payment.  Lowering the AGI to less than $150,000 the question is asked in the Final Review section.

Delete duplicate answer

Do you not qualify because your income for 2020 was too high?  Or your 2021 income?  Your 2020 AGI doesn't matter now.   You can still qualify based on your 2021 income.   And since you are not getting the full amount 2,800 for married you get a phased out amount.  

My 2021 income dropped quite a bit because my husband retired in Feb.  So you are saying if my 2021 income dropped below $160k I'm qualified for this $$?

YES!  It is really based on 2021.  They just sent it out asap based on 2020.  

Great thank you so much for the clarification.  The 2020 AGI is what confused me.

Yes, there is a reason, and you refuse to accept it. In certain situations, the Turbo Tax software has an error computing the recovery credit worksheet. Software code is different than the worksheet.  

Petey SH

I looked at my worksheet 2 days after I had filed and saw that turbotax had only checked boxes 1 & 2 and left the rest blank for some reason. As a result, they calculated that we qualified for a 2800.00 credit. But the box that asked if we had dependents (left blank) would have (correctly)disqualified us for this credit.  Now I suppose the IRS will discover this error? Or should we file an amended return? The answer is not made very clear. 

IRS has the information about the payment of stimulus and they will correct it and give you less refund.

Wait for IRS to process your tax return and if the refund is more then you can file the amendment.

Click on the link for more information

Recovery Rebate Credit

How do I correct an error in the Recovery rebate credit worksheet

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies