turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fatbass

If i am owed child support payments mandated by the court which i have not received can i apply that to my tax statement as a loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If i am owed child support payments mandated by the court which i have not received can i apply that to my tax statement as a loss?

No.  Child support payments, either received or given, are not reported on a tax return.  You cannot claim a loss for income that cannot be reported on a tax return.

No, you cannot do that.  You can petition the agency that enforces child support orders in your area to order that the deadbeat parent's tax refunds be seized for child support owed.  The trouble with that is often they structure their tax withholdings in such a way that there will be little to no refund for the IRS to grab.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies