Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If box 9 is blank on my W-2, does that mean I used the standard deduction or did I itemize?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If box 9 is blank on my W-2, does that mean I used the standard deduction or did I itemize?

Your W2 does not show which deduction you used.  You mean  your 2019 1040 line 9?   There should be an amount on line 9.  Unless you filed Married Filing Separate and your spouse itemized.  

Your W-2 has absolutely no relevance on whether or not you had the Standard Deduction or the Itemized Deduction on your tax return.

Here

1040 2019 SD.jpg

Hal_Al
Level 15

Box 9 of the W-2 is always blank.  Box 9 currently has no purpose.  It was used in the past for something unrelated to most people's tax returns. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

For 2020, the standard or itemized deduction is on line 12 of form 1040.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies