Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've had my mortgage refinanced in April 2020. So now, I have two 1098 forms. TurboTax is only taking interest from one form into account. How do I report a bug in TT?

Looks like a bug
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I've had my mortgage refinanced in April 2020. So now, I have two 1098 forms. TurboTax is only taking interest from one form into account. How do I report a bug in TT?

Don't be in a rush to file this year ... there are still a lot of bugs and the IRS will not start processing any returns until 2/12 so there is time to wait for a fix.  The Sch A is not supposed to be operational until 1/21 at the earliest.    https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_windows_individual.htm...

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Please see this article and reply back if you have additional issues.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Amy, thank you for the response. Unfortunately, this does not answer my question.

I am adding two 1098s, for amounts X and Y.

For some reason, TurboTax only counts X and not X+Y towards my deductions.

This appears to be a bug in the TurboTax software.

How do I report a bug?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Yes there is a Bug in that area and it is currently under investigation.  This is what I found.

Description

Some customers are experiencing an exception error in the mortgage deduction section of TTO.

Investigation Notes

Bug was discovered by developer. At this current point in time no customer investigation case has been submitted. Will hold off on containment until further details of the bug are given or investigation is submitted.

This is an Active case and has not been resolved yet.  There is no date when this will be corrected.  I give it a few days and try again.

Don't be in a rush to file this year ... there are still a lot of bugs and the IRS will not start processing any returns until 2/12 so there is time to wait for a fix.  The Sch A is not supposed to be operational until 1/21 at the earliest.    https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_windows_individual.htm...

BrianneKN

We spent 2 hours on the phone with turbotax 3 weeks ago on this and they said there was a ticket entered and we'd get an update when it was resolved. I tried entering them again, still no resolution. I called again today and was on hold for 45 minutes while they reviewed the concern, and then transferred me to a line asking if I wanted to upgrade to their CPA service. At this point I'm ready to switch to a different product, after using TurboTax for more than a decade. Does anyone have an update on this? 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Nonsense !! Try entering the forms in this manner and tell me if this will resolve your issue. 

1. Enter the 1098 for the original loan.  Make sure all information is entered correctly including the interest.
  2. Enter the second 1098 regarding the refinance. Make sure for the refinance, that you put 0 in box 2.  If you don't, your outstanding mortgage payments will be combined and may disallow the interest deduction because of the mortgage limitation rules. 

Turbotax have updated the help link on the mortgage interest deduction page.

You are supposed to sum up the interest from both forms, and enter two forms as one.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

"You should combine all of the 1098s directly related to the refinance and enter it as one 1098.  An example of this is if you refinanced two loans into one loan. Any 1098s not directly related to the refinance should get entered separately."

TurboTax Help with 1098

bob131100
Returning Member

I just asked a question about whether to include the names of multiple lenders invoived when combining refinanced / sold loans, but the TT tax expert just told me on the phone that it's not an issue to match the name info with individual 1098s as long as the total amounts are correct. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies