turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to file for the earned income tax credit with my 2019 earned income but I accidentally filed it with my 2020 income which is wrong & now I must correct it?

I am wondering how I go about amending my tax return I already received notice from the IRS that this was my mistake.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I need to file for the earned income tax credit with my 2019 earned income but I accidentally filed it with my 2020 income which is wrong & now I must correct it?

@juliannsmith2188 - before attempting to correct, let's see if it is even worth it.  From what I understand the IRS is sending letters indicating that you MAY be elgibile for additional EITC, but for many they are not.

1) what is your AGI on Line 11 of Form 1040 of your 2021 tax return? 

if it ABOVE the appropriate number on this table,  you won't get any additional EITC by using the 2019 earned income. (If ncessary, I can prove it later if you answer the additional questions below for me) , so submitting another form would not be necessary as the IRS would deny the additional EITC in any event.

Single / HOH/ MFS / Qual Widow

Married – Joint

0 Children

$9,800

$9,800

1 Child

$10,600

$10,600

2 Children

$14,950

$14,950

3 Children

$14,950

$14,950

2) what is on Line 27a for Form 1040?

3) what is your filing status on your 2021 tax return?

4) how many children were listed on your 2021 tax return? 

5) what is your 2019 earned income from your 2019 tax return? (for most this will be the wage line only)

If the IRS sent you a form 15111 then simply fill it in and mail it back ... no amending is needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies