turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a military reservist and attempting to deduct airfare for travel to my duty station. When I follow the Form 2106 prompts, it does not list airfare expenses. Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I'm a military reservist and attempting to deduct airfare for travel to my duty station. When I follow the Form 2106 prompts, it does not list airfare expenses. Help?

Part one, line three

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Since there is no specific spot, you can put it under Parking, ferry and toll fees

Please see this answer from PatriciaV:

As you reach the end of the employee business expenses section, you will arrive at a page titled, "Any Special Situation?" Answer Yes.

On the page titled, "Did Your Job Related Expenses Fall Into These Categories?", enter your expenses into the Military reservist travel expenses box.

Deductible travel expenses also include:

• Airline, train, or bus tickets
  • Automobile mileage
  • Hotel or Motel expenses
  • Meals and incidental expenses

Note: If you are a member of a reserve component of the Armed Forces of the United States and you travel more than 100 miles away from home in connection with your performance of services as a member of the reserves, you can deduct some of your travel expenses as an adjustment to gross income rather than as a miscellaneous itemized deduction. The amount of expenses you can deduct as an adjustment to gross income is limited to the regular federal per diem rate (for lodging, meals, and incidental expenses) and the standard mileage rate (for car expenses) plus any parking fees, ferry fees, and tolls. The balance, if any, is reported on Schedule A.

It shows TRAVEL expense for form 2106 in my TT

2106.jpg

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, that is correct.  Military reservists who must travel more than 100 miles away from home and stay overnight to attend a drill or reserve meeting may be able to deduct their travel expenses as an adjustment to income. The amount of expenses that can be deducted is limited to the:

• Federal rate for per diem (for lodging, meals, and incidental expenses)

• Standard mileage rate (for car expenses) plus any parking fees, ferry fees, and/or tolls

See pages 2-3 in this IRS Publication.

The rate for the cost of operating your car for business use is 57.5 cents per mile.  You will multiply the miles from your home to the drill location, if over 100 miles, times this cost per mile to arrive at your travel costs as if by car.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies