Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I am having trouble with the Teachers Expenses part of the process. There’s nowhere for me to enter how much I spent on classroom supplies.

@staceydyer1971 Not sure what your daughter has to do with the educator  expense deduction.  That deduction is for teachers who teach in K-12.  

TEACHER EXPENSES

Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Employment Expenses>Teacher (Educator) Expenses

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc458

Are you confusing the educator expense deduction with education credits for a college student?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am having trouble with the Teachers Expenses part of the process. There’s nowhere for me to enter how much I spent on classroom supplies.

The problem she's having (and I am too) is that the SOFTWARE is confusing the two.  We know the difference. 

@HoneyBadger6198 wrote:

The problem she's having (and I am too) is that the SOFTWARE is confusing the two.  We know the difference. 

What are you seeing on the Educator Expenses Worksheet in Forms mode?  This is what I have if just entering the expenses of $250 -

Educator Worksheet.JPG

Right, that works for most people including you, but not us.  If we have a kid in college and we list those expenses it throws everything off.  Those two should have nothing to do with each other, but the result is that thanks to Turbo Tax we could not claim the K-12 educator expenses.

So you have Non-taxable Coverdell distributions ESA distributions or Non-taxable qualified tuition program distributions entered on the worksheet Lines 2 or 3 for the Taxpayer?  If so, those should not be on the worksheet if you entered those distributions for the student and you were NOT the student.

OK, thanks.  I've already done my taxes for this year, but I will certainly look into that for the next. 

I am also having trouble with this.  I can enter a value for my husband who is not an educator but I cannot enter anything in for myself.  I also bought the  program on disk.  Not very happy with it this year.  :(

Same problem. The 529 distributions clearly show my child as the beneficiary and me as the recipient, but TTax desktop program is filling in the amount on the Educator Expenses worksheet as though they were for my unreimbursed classroom expenses instead of my child's tuition. This is for 2023. 

2024 and I'm having the same problem. I have kids in college and 1099-q's listing them as the recipients for 2 and myself as the recipient for one. TT asked who it (the one with myself as recipient) was for and I picked the child. However, when I go to the form for educator expenses, it lists "non-taxable qualified tuition program distributions".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies