Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

NDJCO
Returning Member

How do I report this Charitable Contributions BUG???

To DaveF1006:

Nice job! There was a $5.42 amount on one of my 1099-DIV statements this year! Thank you so much!

NDJCO

NDJCO
Returning Member

Hi Dave;

Further to my previous thank you reply regarding the REIT quantity I want to mention that part of my problem arose from not being able to reach a source 1099 document. Clicking on form 1040 line 13 leads to 1040 Wks line 13 and another click leads to form 8995, but the trail ends there -- no path to a source 1099-DIV.

Thanks again for the help.

NDJCO

This helps me correct, but when I got to the end of deductions, it didn't take me to the CARES screen. Maybe it did originally before I experienced all these problems, but not anymore. Deleting other charitable entries to help me get the review error, and I fixed that. But, when I get to the end and try to e-file, it won't let me. It says I have to fix this, thinking I can only deduct $300 as other posts indicate. It says I can do paper, but I would rather e-file.

I do not get the "Charitable Contributions Care Act" screen in Premier edition. Also, even though I manually input and try to skip to file, it won't let me e-file. It sends me back to this error and says I must fix it. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I suspect that you may have an entry posted at the second area of entry.  If so, you may have to temporarily reduce one or more itemized deduction entries to invoke the screen Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you.

In TurboTax Online, Federal 1040 line 12b Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act can be entered or removed at either:  

• Federal Taxes / Deductions & Credits / Your tax breaks / Donations to Charity in 2021 or
  • at the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act immediately following Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you. 

You may have an entry posted at the second area of entry.

• At the screen titled Charitable Cash Contributions under the CARES Act, make sure that the box contains $0. 
  • Under Deductions & Credits, re-instate the deductions that had been temporarily changed.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Wrap up tax breaks.
  • At Other Tax Situations, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Let’s keep going.
  • Continue through Review

Go to Tax Tools / Tools / View Tax Summary / Preview my 1040 to view line 12b for the charitable deduction.

Finally, go back to restore your itemized deductions and qualfy for Schedule A.

[Edited 03/07/2022 8:57 AM PST]

@scottnbridge

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I need to do the same thing . There is a bug with the software as it related to charitable deduction. I have called TT 5 times. Wasted hours . They even refuse to accept there is a problem with the software!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify, can you describe your issue you are experiencing?

@SRei

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The problem has been described in this forum and confirmed by many users weeks ago. The issue has been resolved. The concern I have, and I imagine others may have, is that there seems to be no way of opening bug reports. As such, users are in the dark as to whether the issue is being worked on. For known bugs, it would save users a lot of time by communicating to them en masse what the bug is and what the workaround is. Instead the onus is placed on the users to search forums for issues. For such a critical application like this, the user experience is lacking--again placing the onus on many users to discover the same bug instead of actively communicating out to users. That is the sort of support that makes me consider an alternative application. By the way, I am not using the free online version, either. Thank you.

Hi,

Yes, I ended up returning my turbo tax software and getting a new one, this time downloading TT  instead of using the disk. It seems the program is working now. Basically had the $600 cash charitable donation  but it did not budge the refund (i.e. with the $0 or $600 in put, the refund did not change for a dime). With the new software the number is changing. My main concern with TT was that there was zero support when I called TT. I was told for getting help with tax questions that are not IT related I would need to purchase the TT Live option which would require filing the TT online (which I do not want to do). There should be an option for desktop TT users to pay and get support for the questions that arises without having to work with TT online.

On positive side, I got a call from TT and they told me they will report on my concern

Thank you.

Using TurboTax Premiere 2022 for Windows.

I after I selected Done with deductions, turbotax prompted me to enter charitable deductions.  I had already dont that, gone through them all again, and on the summjary screen it reports as 0.

As an aside, Intuit sure makes it difficult to report a bug or problem.  Couldn't find any way to do so besides a posting like this.  Sad...

@BarryK123 - since it is so early in the tax season (call it 'spring training') , many of the forms are not IRS approved.  if the schedule says 'do not file' in big red letters in the upper right...or there is a red exclamation point in Forms View, then there is no bug; if the form is apprvoved by the IRS and there is no red exclamation point, and the IRS has opened up the window for filing,  I could see your point 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies