Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I put in a Sec. 170(g) deduction (host family of a foreign exchange student) in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RalphH1
Expert Alumni

How do I put in a Sec. 170(g) deduction (host family of a foreign exchange student) in TurboTax?

You can deduct your qualifying expenses (up to $50 per month) for housing an exchange student in the “Donations to Charity in 2022” section of TurboTax. That’s in “Deductions & Credits,” and if you select “I’ll choose what I work on,” it’s about three sections down on the “Your 2022 Deductions & Credits” page. (Or you could type “donations” in the search box at the top, the click the “Jump to donations” link.)

@jacarter5, the IRS has some extra rules for reporting this (see Publication 526), which you may know about already. This would normally require you to print out your return from TurboTax and mail it with the additional student-related documentation. (Here’s another TurboTax thread where an alternative is discussed — based on the idea that if you’re otherwise confident about your deduction being correct, you may be comfortable with not following the procedures to the letter...)

Be sure to re-post here if you have additional questions about this!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RalphH1
Expert Alumni

You can deduct your qualifying expenses (up to $50 per month) for housing an exchange student in the “Donations to Charity in 2022” section of TurboTax. That’s in “Deductions & Credits,” and if you select “I’ll choose what I work on,” it’s about three sections down on the “Your 2022 Deductions & Credits” page. (Or you could type “donations” in the search box at the top, the click the “Jump to donations” link.)

@jacarter5, the IRS has some extra rules for reporting this (see Publication 526), which you may know about already. This would normally require you to print out your return from TurboTax and mail it with the additional student-related documentation. (Here’s another TurboTax thread where an alternative is discussed — based on the idea that if you’re otherwise confident about your deduction being correct, you may be comfortable with not following the procedures to the letter...)

Be sure to re-post here if you have additional questions about this!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies