turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Form 8936 (2019)

My returns were rejected last week.  I deleted form 8936, cleared cookies, created a new form with the same info provided previously and then refiled this evening.  TT is indicating a Federal refund of the total EV credit minus what I owed for Federal.  That doesn't seem correct.  I thought the EV purchase credit could only take you to zero, not result in a refund.

@tdevil184  @burningman 

Before the fix by TT yesterday I had filed 3X and got 3 rejections (very frustrating) and finally, after following the directions below, it worked and my Fed was accepted in about (1) hour.   

Try this method (although I am not an expert).

1)  Make sure you first DELETE the car you entered in Form 8936.

2)  Click continue (or next), so you advance to the next screens or section, 

3)  Sign out of TT

4)  Because you are having issues, you might need to clear your cookies & cache.  I personally don't like to do as I lose a lot of pre-fill info on web sites.

5)  Log back into TT and go to Form 8936.  Make sure your car info is NOT showing up

6)  Enter just the data on the first page (VIN, bought date, delivery date, etc.), and click to move to the next page.

7) This step is important, DO NOT enter 7,500 on the next page, it should auto-fill, then click continue.

😎  BEFORE you e-file again, view (or print)  Form 8936 from TT to verify the numbers and credit are correct,

9)  Go ahead and run through ALL the Fed and State sections.  Most will be pre-filled from previous, some items are not.  That's what I did to make sure all was well.

10)  Run the Fed & State error checks, and then e-file again.   

You can also call TT directly and speak to a live person without having to pay for the live service because it's a technical issue, not a consultation.  I hope that helps you & others who are having difficulties. 

“TurboTax has released an update to Form 8936.  Follow these steps to insure that TurboTax is using the updated Form 8936. 

• Clear your browser's cookies and cache 

• Delete Form 8936  

• Enter your vehicle information on Form 8936 “

A tax credit is the same as if you pre-paid your taxes.  So yes, you may get a refund.

It would depend on what other deductions and credits were applied in addition to the 8936.  Some of those get you money back (Child Tax Credit, for example).  The 8936 reduces your liability only, but if you had others, like the CTC then you would get money back after the liability is nullified.

No they did not.  The form was released per their own website on 1/29/2020.

My returns were accepted within a couple hours of filing.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue is supposed to be fixed sometime today 2/21/2020.

Please also update your program before fixing the reject:

• If you are using the TurboTax CD/Download software program, open the program, from the top, under Online, select Check for Updates.
  • If you are using the online version, it's an automatic update when you sign in and out. 

If you are using TurboTax online version, I suggest you also clear your cache before logging back into the program.  To clear cache, click here : 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-to-clear-your-cache/00/26135

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It is a credit, not a deduction, and as a result, will directly reducing the amount of  taxes owed (or tax liability). It is, however, a non-refundable tax credit, so if you only owe $5K in taxes for the year but your credit is worth $7,500, you would only get the $5K back. Hope that makes sense. 

tonymarg14
Returning Member

Hello,

My Federal and State was rejected due to form 8936. Why hasn't Turbotax updated this form, its still not calculating correctly

I'm still seeing people having a rejection as late as yesterday.  Mine was rejected after filing on 2/19.  Before I refile, want to be sure the issue truly is resolved.  I'm using the PC/Windows Deluxe version, not the online. It says updates are current and the last updates were around 11am PST on 2/20.

I note there were some clear form and cache tricks for the online to work, anything like that needed for the PC version?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The fix for Form 8936 was included in the February 20th release.  As insurance, delete Form 8936 and reenter it.  It should go through then.

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

We now have a place you can sign up to be notified once we have the 2018 amendment software updated so that you can get the credit for your Zero SR!    Sign up HERE to get on that e-mail list.  

@ChibiBiker

The fix worked, re-filed Monday and was notified within hours that both Federal and State returns were accepted.

I'm using TT Home & Business and trying to do manual updated (downloaded and installed) but it keeps saying need to install Turbo Tax 2019. I installed TT Home & Business and it had automatically installed TT 2019 (see under Programs and Features). What now?  Can't believe TT techs are not sync. Keep running around and nothing fixed.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@tonymarg14

Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit is available.  It was included in the software release on 02/12/2020

Update your software.  Click on Online at the top of the program screen.  Click on Check for Updates.

If the message comes back that your software is updated and you still cannot access the Energy Efficient Vehicle section under Deductions and Credit, save your tax return and close the program.

Try this to update manually. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies