Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

how do you all get this to work? I try to transmit returns and it will not let me 

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

I just deleted form 8911, saved my return, closed TurboTax, reopened TurboTax and created form 8911 once more.  I still get the same error message that says Form 8911 will be updated by 03/06/2024 and cannot e-file my federal return.

a116
Level 2

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

I just tried and it worked for me.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

If you installed a charger (like a tesla wall charger) you get back 30 percent of the cost of the installation and wall charger unit. For personal use you can get back up to 30 percent. The credit can only be used once and can not be carryforward to next year (use it or lose it). There are some catches. Though if you have maxed out amount of credit  or have used most of the credit. Then you will only get a portion. For me I purchased a tesla and got 7500 back. The install and cost of a charger was 2k. 30% percent of that was 600 dollars credit. Since I got 7500 from the tesla I would only get 200 of the 600. Since you can not carry forward this credit I can not claim it on next yr taxes.  

It all depends on you tax situation to know if this worth it or not.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

For anyone that was able to e-file their taxes with form 8911, please share what version of TT you are using and any special circumstances that worked for you.  I'm using TurboTax Deluxe on a Windows PC with the latest update from 2/23/2024.  When I check for updates, there is nothing newer.  I have no tax credit for the purchase of an EV, but did install a home charger.  My home GEOID is on the 2020 list of eligible 30C tracts.  Form 8911 is completed correctly, but when I transmit my return I'm told everything looks great, but TT needs a little more information than needed earlier.  I click Continue and get a Check This Entry page with line 1 highlighted.  Clicking Continue takes me back to a never ending loop to the Transmit Returns Now page.

a116
Level 2

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Mine was TurboTax Online Premium 

laurencb
Returning Member

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Is anyone using TT Deluxe on a Mac? My return still says it's waiting for the update which should happen by 3/2/24.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

I am using TT Premier on PC. I can confirm it will NOT allow me to file. I get to the transmit screen and it states "We Need to Make One More Check" and keeps going through a loop. The only option that will allow you to proceed is to "Change Filing Method"

The date for the update states by 03/06/2024

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

This is helpful @Jo1997.

Q1: When you say you have "maxed out amount of credit", do you mean that you have reached the limit of your specific tax liability and cannot reduce it further or does it mean that you have hit some federal limit of $7500 + $200.

Q2: Were you able to see the $200 as the refund with the exiting version of TT dated 02/23/2024? Mine still shows zero, even though the 8911 form calculation shows that I qualify for the maximum limit of $1000 or 30% whichever is lower. I got 2 chargers installed and spent more than $4K overall.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@CatinaT1  My TT says that the update is now expected on 03/07/2024. I have seen this move 3 times. What is wrong with you TT team?

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@pvarun17 how did you do it? Mine is still stuck. Screenshot 2024-02-28 193249.png

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@harleypan86  For some reason, the view of your screen is different from mine. I filed mine via TurboTax Online and I wonder if it has got to something with it. As in Online applications have the issues fixed while the desktop softwares are still awaiting updates. I am not sure. Are you using a desktop version of the software by any chance? I am seeing a similar trend with other users who were unable to efile as well like those using software on Mac or PC. I don't have a software copy but instead I created an account on turbotax.com and filed it online.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@GamecockStormblessed Are you filing your taxes on TurboTax software that you may have probably installed on your computer (i.e., either Mac or PC)? If so, I suspect it may have to do with it. I filed mine on TurboTax Online. Since, it is online/via web portal, I wonder if the software fixes for web application was implemented sooner than the Computer software copies that are yet to be implemented. It is just my thought.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@pvarun17 I am using the desktop version. Let me see if my purchase can be converted to online version....

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@harleypan86 Oh perfect. Please try that and let me know just so my suspicion gets confirmed while also helping other members who have software packages experiencing the same issue. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies