Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AF80
Level 1

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

This has been pushed multiple times, and the date as of now is 3/5/24. Unfortunately, this is the second year in a row that I have experienced similar issues which have delayed my tax return a few weeks.

This is not acceptable from a mega-cap company like Intuit! They are technically delaying the tax return of many filers for weeks which in such a high-interest rate environment equals to a huge amount of money out of Intuit customer's pockets.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

They just updated the date AGAIN to March 5th now! This is ridiculous. 

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

3/6 as of now. 

delay day by day, no progress at all

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

I don’t want to speak too soon, but I might have a breakthrough here. I Tweeted TurboTax Support about this days ago, and actually just got a DM reply with the following info:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and for your continued understanding. We have scheduled updates for form 8911 on February 29, and anticipate that you should be able to file in March once these updates are fully implemented. Our commitment to ensuring the accuracy and reliability of our service remains unwavering.
-Nia

I hate to be negative here, but I’ll believe it when I see it. But we can cross our fingers and hope for just a couple more days.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

I was going to do the same with Free Tax, but it won't transfer my 2023 taxes into their software from TT.  I'm not going to redo all this work now.... Removing form 8911.  Will amend the return if/when TT gets their act together.  Sucks losing out on $1000 of my refund, but it is MY money. Maybe J G Wentworth will front me the refund $$.. lol

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Since this continues to increment every day at about the same time, its blatantly obvious that this is getting very little attention by the people building the updates.  I think the software is programmed to increment by 1 day when it encounters an error in a form that is not a "known" problem.  When the problem is slated to be fixed, the tool shows a separate window and schedule fix date (accurate or inaccurate). I know 1 person in the thread here yesterday, claimed that it was being worked on through an Tweet... but I am not putting any stock in that, as it seems that their customer service reps don't talk to the software engineers/programmers or know what is really being worked on. 

Anyways, I went ahead and filed last night after deleting the 8911 form entirely (like I did not have the equipment installed) and will send in an amended form to get my other $800 or so bucks for the Alternative Fueling Station credit at my home, when/if they get this fixed.  If they do not get it fixed, I hope that I can transfer my existing return to another platform, without too much hassle as I have entered many charitable donations, and cap gains/losses on 1099s and those can be a pain to deal with, so I doubt they will easily transfer.  I am guessing I spent 6 hours working on taxes this year, not counting all of the checking in on form 8936 and 8911 to finish the tax season.

Good luck everyone.... and I will continue to monitor this thread for a class action lawsuit.... but honestly, that type of lawsuit only benefits the lawyers, and won't get your entire software cost back--by the time attorneys are paid and things are over with, your $50 bucks that you originally paid, will end up getting $5 back for 3-4 years after you bought the tool, and when this is resolved, in this economy, that $5 will be worth about $2.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

This Form 8911 error has been pushed FOUR times now for us. First, it said to check back on Feb 16, then Feb 21, then Feb 28, and now Mar 6. If the update isn't in by Mar 1, I'm filing elsewhere, and y'all will lose another customer. This is beyond ridiculous. 

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

I filed without the 8911 last week and my refund is already pending in my bank account.  I’ll file an amended return when TT gets their act together.  Based on the information in this thread it didn’t seem worth the time and effort to try to get TT to refund what I paid for the software use.  But also based on info in this thread, I plan to use TaxAct next year. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.  

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

The same thing happened to me. One poster here suggested that TT seems to consider it my responsibility to delete the 8911, which I did so that I could file my taxes and get my refund.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

First, I doubt anyone from TurboTax looks at these forums. This is simply a place for users to rant and help each other. posting something on here, and expecting it to impact anyone who actually works at TurboTax is misguided.

Second, I got a reply on Twitter from TT support about this issue:

"We never want our customers to feel this way or have these experiences, and we apologize for this inconvenience. After looking into this issue further I do see that the IRS has made changes to Form 8911. These changes should be integrated into our system on 02/29/2024. No later than 03/06/2024.

I apologize for the misinformation on my part. I know this is extremely frustrating. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the wait while our development team works diligently to accurately program this year's updated tax forms into the TurboTax 2023 software."

laurencb
Returning Member

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

This thread has been very helpful for me. From what I can tell, the tax credit for installing a charger at your home - the purpose of Form 8911 -  is a nonrefundable credit. Since I purchased my EV in 2023, I will be getting the fully refundable credit for that and will not have any other tax liability. So, I think form 8911 won't produce any additional refund. I don't see a reason to wait for it. Is anyone else in this situation and have thoughts about it? 

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@laurencb I am in the same situation as you. My income is ~90k and getting a full 7.5K EV credit. But I am still able to get ~$400 credit from EV charger installation. I am going to wait. 

laurencb
Returning Member

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

My EV credit reduced my tax liability to zero. Even though my charger installation could be worth about $300 to me, I can't use it since I have no further taxes that are owed this year.  A nonrefundable tax credit means that once your tax bill has been reduced to zero, any leftover credit is forfeited. The IRS won't refund, or pay out, that remainder to you. I'm in that situation.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

@laurencb The 2023 EV tax credit is also a "non-refundable" credit. You cannot get back more than your tax liability for the year. It is the same, in this way, to the refueling property credit that 8911 is used for. 

laurencb
Returning Member

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

OK. Thanks. I think I misunderstood how the nonrefundable thing worked. As long as I have a tax liability this year, the credits go to that liability - even if I've already paid on it through deductions on the social security payments. Then I'm refunded what I paid. Makes sense. And, now it's worth waiting for this credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies