Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EV Credit

When I enter my 2019 Tesla Vin and purchase date Turbo Tax says ineligible. It was purchased 6/20/2019 weighs 4108 pounds and has a 75kw battery. TT say not eligible because it was purchased before 2009 has less than a 4kw battery or weighs more than 14,000 pounds. Any hits on a fix ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

EV Credit

Form 8936, Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit probably has not yet been finalized for tax year 2019.  

Click on the Review tab at the top of the desktop program screen.  There will be a list of forms and schedules with availability dates listed.

EV Credit

Also, when putting in the purchase date, make sure you put in the full year 2019.  There's another place in the program where sticking in only the last two-digits of the year causes a problem. 

Thus make sure you use 06/20/2019  and not 6/20/19     (not sure if the "06" is needed)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
dmertz
Level 15

EV Credit

Also check the number on VIN tag on the car itself to make sure that you are entering the correct VIN.  Part of the VIN indicates the year of manufacture.

EV Credit

the 10th digit indicates the year.... if it's a 2019 model, then that digit should be a 'K'. ...or possibly the software / form hasn't yet been updated as "K" was also used for 1989. 

EV Credit

Thanks!

All my info is entered as suggested and meets criteria "K"  etc. I am hoping DoninGA is on target with the "file is not ready yet" but can't seem to find the review tab to see forms not yet ready.

EV Credit

That credit form is NEVER ready prior to January BECAUSE the list of all the qualifying VIN numbers of all the cars sold  in 2019  have not been completed yet so the program cannot possibly have that info yet .... return later in January. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies