turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does anyone know what to do yes it says you’re not eligible for the child tax credit the extra amount even though I absolutely qualify

I filed my 2020 tax return I claimed my two children who are both under 17 I have lived in the United States my entire life and I make way under the income limit and it says that I am not eligible and I don’t know what to do because anytime you call the IRS number they cannot give you any information except for what’s on the site
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Does anyone know what to do yes it says you’re not eligible for the child tax credit the extra amount even though I absolutely qualify

We cannot see any of your information so we do not know what the portal is telling you or why it says you are not eligible yet.    This is a brand new system thrown together by the IRS after Congress changed tax laws in the middle of the tax season.  There are going to be bugs, glitches and mistakes made and folks will unfortunately have to be patient until they sort it out.  

If you do not receive the monthly payments you will be able to get the CTC on your 2021 tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you currently have an original or amended return in the system for processing that will delay the advance payments and there is nothing you can do about it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies