turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I qualify for the child care credit if my husband and i were both working full time with our kids in daycare?

When i am trying to add the credit it says only for full time students or disabled
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Do I qualify for the child care credit if my husband and i were both working full time with our kids in daycare?

Did you enter both of your Forms W-2 and did you make sure that they were not both credited to the same person? If one of you filed a Schedule C, any loss would affect the income on which the credit is based.

Both W2s have been entered. Nobody to filed a schedule C. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

One requirement to claim a child care credit is that both spouses have to work. If you have child care benefits at work, that can limit your ability to take a child care credit. It can be limited by the age of your children as well, they have to be under the age of 17.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Without more specifics, it's hard to determine what the issue may be. I hope the link below helps.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/the-ins-and-outs-of-the-child-and-dependent-care-tax-cre....

Take a close look at the paragraph under "Care You Can Claim".

Thanks!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"Both W2s have been entered. " - What Coleen said is that each of you has to have a W-2 or other earned income.

Unfortunately, it is all too common for taxpayers to accidentally enter both W-2s under the same taxpayer (it's a small check box on the first W-2 screen that asks you to check which spouse this W-2 belongs to). TurboTax cannot go by the name on the W-2 since this can vary.

Please double-check your W-2s.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I would delete all the W2s and re enter them paying close attention to pick the right person for each one.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies