turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming missing second stimulus check

Good day all,

I haven't received the second stimulus payment.  The IRS 'Get my Payment' website gives me the common error "Payment #2 Status ' Not Available."  TurboTax Deluxe does not ask anything about the stimulus payment.  The 'Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet--Line 30' Line 11 requests the amount from line 11 of 1040-SR.  On the 2020 return, that would be my AGI.  My AGI in 2020 is way above the income cutoff because I did a Roth conversion from a traditional IRA last April.  My AGI in 2019 was way below the income cutoff.  So my question:  does my 2020 income preclude me from receiving the second stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes.  If your 2020 AGI is beyond the phase out for the Recovery Rebate Credit then you are not eligible for any credit based on not receiving the second stimulus.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Yes.  If your 2020 AGI is beyond the phase out for the Recovery Rebate Credit then you are not eligible for any credit based on not receiving the second stimulus.

Thanks, DoninGA.  I feared as much, but several searches for the answer, both within the Intuit universe and on the broader internet, didn't completely answer my question.

Hoodat

I thought Stimulus Payment # 2 is based of the 2019 taxes.  Stimulus Payment #3 will be on the 2020 taxes.

If you get the Stimulus check #3 and your 2020 AGI is above the cut off point, do you return the money from the stimulus check when you file the 2021 taxes?

I thought Stimulus Payment # 2 is based of the 2019 taxes.  Stimulus Payment #3 will be on the 2020 taxes.

The ADVANCE stimulus payments 1 & 2 were based on the 2018 or 2019 AGIs.  If you did not get the full amount in ADVANCE then you can get the missing amount on the 2020 return as a CREDIT  which uses the 2020 AGI  and that  means you may not be eligible for the credit based on the 2020 amount. 

If you get the Stimulus check #3 and your 2020 AGI is above the cut off point, do you return the money from the stimulus check when you file the 2021 taxes?   

As with the first 2 advances  if you get too much third stimulus money in advance  then you get to keep the excess ...  you don't have to pay it back.  

Good day all.  I'm the OP.  I saw new activity on this thread, so decided to toss out some observations.

DoninGA is correct:  I cannot claim the missing EIP as a credit on my 2020 taxes.  IRS Publication 5486 clarifies that.

I received EIP 3 a month or so ago.  I haven't filed my 2020 taxes yet, so the IRS (apparently) used my 2019 return to decide I'm eligible.  That begs the question of why didn't the IRS use my 2019 return for the second EIP 🤔  I hope Critter-3 is correct about not having to send it back 😲

Hoodat

This has been a weird situation ... many of my clients got the first and third but the second was MIA.  All you can do is enter it on the 2020 return as a credit and see if the IRS agrees you were missed.  Otherwise your other option is to put a trace on the missing money like many folks have to do to track down the missing money when the IRS denies the credit claim on the return.

If you received Notice 1444 in the mail and have not received your payment as mentioned in the notice, see How do I request a payment trace to track my first or second Economic Impact Payments?

Note: Do not request a payment trace if you are trying to determine eligibility for the payment or the amount of payment you should have received. You must have been issued a notice showing your payments were issued or your online account must show your payment amounts (dates are not provided) to perform a trace.

shd
Level 2

The stimulus checks are such a mess! We received the first one based on our 2018 returns and got $56 extra (if based on 2019 returns). We didn't receive the second one and now it was based on 2020 returns with a loss of $364 (if based on 2019 returns as in the case of those we received them).  So thanks to IRS not issuing us the second check, we received $308 less. We're not qualified for the third one thanks to the Republicans. 

Honestly our income wasn't impacted by the pandemic. I don't mind if the government hands out money to those truly in need. But I feel really annoyed by the mess.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies