turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Choose itemized button not working, keeps saying I'm selecting the standard deduction, frustrating!

I have not run into this issue with testing, but I have a feeling this might be related to the 300 above the line charitable contribution deduction that is new this year. 

If your Itemized Deductions and the Standard Deduction are within 300, there might be an issue with the software. (The program will say Itemized is better, but Standard PLUS THE 300 deduction is really better) 

If you are sure that you want to take Itemized Deductions, please try this fix:

TurboTax ONLINE

Click Tax Tools on the left side bar

Click Tools from the drop-down

Click the "Topic Search" box on the screen

Type or scroll down to    standard deduction and exemptions

Click GO 

The next screen gives you an option to change your selection from Standard to Itemized and back. In your case select Itemized

Scroll down to the bottom of that screen and click CONTINUE

The next screen is the Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act screen

SINCE YOU ARE ITEMIZING DEDUCTIONS enter 0

Scroll down and click Continue

Click Continue on the next screen

DESKTOP

Go to Step-By-Step input

Click Federal

Click Deductions & Credits along the top

Click “I’ll choose what I work on”

Edit or Update Donations to Charity in 2020 if needed, then click “Done with Charitable Donations”

Scroll down the “Your 2020 Deductions & Credits” screen and click “Done with Deductions”

Click Continue on the “Let’s Check Your Deductions and Credits” screen

Continue through the following interview questions until you get to the “Here Are Your 2020 Deductions & Credits” screen

Click Continue

If the next screen says “Itemized deductions is Right for You!” click Continue

ON THE NEXT SCREEN zero for cash contribution made in 2020 and click Continue

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JJS3
Level 2

Choose itemized button not working, keeps saying I'm selecting the standard deduction, frustrating!

Long post but it's a complicated problem. Bear with me.  I"m a smartass and annoyed by this, and I hate posts that are short on detail and impossible to use.  This is for a situation where you want to use itemized deductions but TurboTax uses standard deduction even though it says it's using itemized, and you can't force it to change.

I had this problem also, and my total itemized deductions are just over the standard deduction like others have suggested. No matter how many times I tried to go through the step-by-step process it kept saying it's using Itemized but it keeps delivering Standard. I tried a test where my itemized deductions were a little more than $300 over the standard deduction and it worked properly (and my state tax plummeted). So this is clearly a software failure where it just doesn't work right when your itemized decuctions are within $300 of (over) the standard deduction. This is a ridiculous failure that should have been caught very early (or at least caught at some point ffs).  The easiest fix is to add some "forgotten" cash charitable contributions, but if you don't want to cheat here is how I found to force a workaround.

Background: I'm using the downloaded exe-on-my-PC version of TurboTax Deluxe 2020. Tried repeatedly to use itemized deductions so my state (VA) taxes will use itemized deductions. This is a huge difference and a huge failure for TT. Every time I go through the step by step it says it's using itemized deductions, but it doesn't. Half baked software. I tried editing the Schedule A form - there's a box to force it to use itemized but the checkbox is disabled. Ready to just do this the old way with forms and a pen...but...

I googled a bit and found (a) it's not really a new problem and (b) a solution from 2018. Let me just take a moment to say how disgusted I am with TT for this failure - this is basic software troubleshooting and it should have been fixed long ago.

I have a solution but it's a solution that requires some careful steps. And disclaimer...I have not actually finished everything yet so this may be terrible, terrible advice. But try it.

The basic solution itself is very easy, but the step-by-step process in the 2020 software will undo it if you allow it to.

So here is the secret trick #1.

From wherever you are in the step-by-step process, click on Forms and open the Federal Information Worksheet that appears in the list of Forms on the left. It's named "Info Wks" or something un-findable like that. They couldn't just write it out...

In Part VI of Federal Information Worksheet, the first subsection is called Standard Deduction/Itemized Deductions. Under that there are three checkboxes. Check the first one (look at the others - you might need them but that's not what this post is about). It says something like "Check this box if you are itemizing for state tax or other purposes even though deductions are lower than your standard deduction." Sounds good, huh?

For me, checking that box immediately made everything right - the summary of my deductions now looks correct, and if I look at the forms they are correct. Great, right? Awesome...now jump back to step-by-step and wait for TT to fail again...

You probably wanted to set this checkbox early, and that makes sense. But when you are in step-by-step and you get to the page that tells you which deduction you should use - it breaks your fix. It doesn't matter if you accept what it says or try to change it. For me, it goes back to saying you're using Itemized but it uses Standard. I think this page is the problem (TT are you reading this?).

A little background - the problem page I'm talking about is after you finish entering Deductions and Credits, and you click Done with Deductions, then it does "Let's Check Your Deductions and Credits" and might give you a few comments/warnings. Then is shows "Your 2019 and 2020 Deductions & Credits" - for me this was all zeroes for Itemized (nice comparison tool!). Then click Continue and it reports what it chose for you - in my case it's "We've Chosen Itemized Deductions for you." But it didn't actually do that. It also says "What You're Getting: Federal Itemized Deductions." But it's lying. They spent all their time making this page very clear about what you're getting, but it's not what you're getting. So anyway, now you know where the problem is.

When you click Continue, it all breaks again. Important detail (seriously, TT are you reading this?)...this is the problem...when you click Continue, not only does it change your deduction option, but it also unchecks the box on the Federal Information Worksheet that made everything work correctly. This page telling you how smart TT is and how it figured out what is best...it fails and actually breaks the one thing that you needed it to do, so it's all wrong again.

So here is trick #2.

Now that I'm writing it, this doesn't seem like much of a trick and is kind of obvious in hindsight, but here it is. I recommend you first do the things I said above with the checkbox in the Info Wks, so you see the difference that the checkbox makes and you can do all your work properly. Then you will also see where the problem pops up. Then...

After you pass the problem page and you get to (in my case) the page that says "Other Tax Situation", you can just fix the checkbox again and it seems OK. Go to Forms and go to the Federal Information Worksheet again, and check that box again.  It should switch back to Itemized and everything is OK again. I have not done extensive testing but apparently I've done more than TT has. And if that works and you didn't already, make sure to send TT a message that they need to test and fix stuff before they sell it to you. I've played around with this a little and I think the problem is simply that the one page in step-by-step is wiping that checkbox every time you pass through it.

After fixing the checkbox, I finished a few checks and started my state return and it didn't flip back yet, and my overall bill is nearly $1000 less (Federal is $100 more and State is nearly $1000 less). Thanks for the help TurboTax, for the last time ever. 

That's as far as I got. I spent all day fighting this mess and ran out of time. And of course writing this was time consuming, with all the anger and drinking that had to be done with it. If this turns out to be bad, I'll post about it.  I wanted to get this posted soon and not wait because there were a few people having this problem. 

A super thanks to @Stinkerbellkity who found the magic checkbox back in 2018 (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-how-to-force-turbotax-2018-to-itemize-on-feder...).

Good luck.  I hope I didn't break anything.

I just got off the phone with Intuit TT and they thought it was my outdated Windows version.  But...it is not.  I cannot get this issue to work on my iPad, Chromebook, updated browsers, nothing.  I've tried to find where the system might be counting the extra $300 donation credit, but I cannot seem to find the screen to resolve this!  I cannot see the 2020 cash donation option anywhere.  When I look at the preview of the 1040, it shows standard deduction plus the $300 cash donation, which in fact is more than my itemized total (but my total tax due with itemized is less!).  It is showing my the higher tax due amount.  Very frustrating!  Thanks.  

If your tax on line 16 is less with itemized deductions  then some other line is also different.  Compare all the income lines.    Or if the tax due on line 37 is less better compare all the lines.  Maybe a penalty on line 38 is less too.  

JJS3
Level 2

@jdfrosch - the up-to $300 gets put into line 10b (I think - I'm at work and going from memory) of the 1040 worksheet.  I don't remember if it gets put there automatically or not, but that's where it goes.  It's a line that says it's your deduction if you use the Standard deduction.  IMO that's not where that line should be because it's before you choose a deduction method, but nobody asked me.

But if you're asking about where the app includes the $300 difference when figuring out how to choose your deduction, the answer is "in the code."  It doesn't show this number or explain it - it appears to just add it and base the outcome on it.  All I can tell you is if you're having the problem I described at the top of my long post, just make a copy of your return file and run through the process in my post to test the different steps.  It's complicated and my explanation is my best interpretation of what's going on and how to work around it.  I literally cannot explain it all - that's why I wrote the post as a step-by-step process so people having this issue will see how it overrides your choice and how to fix it.  You can also do a test where you add in enough to your itemized deductions to be well over (more than 300) the standard deduction and it in my case everything worked perfectly.  That's why I'm zeroed in on that $300 difference and why it's only a small number of people having the problem.  If you are having this issue, you can always "remember" $300 in cash donations and add them to your Schedule A, and this problem should go away.

BTW if you use my method to force the use of Itemized, make sure to go back to the 1040 worksheet and delete any entry in line 10b (and no, it won't accept zero - you have to delete it ffs).  I think the "let's check for errors" page will take you to this if you don't remove it anyway.

I was able to figure this out when my husband found a few more deductions he didn't tell me about and that was just enough to take us over the $300 issue (Phew!) ...THEN I was able to remove the 10b entry.  Crazy.  Thanks for your thorough responses.  

I’m using Premier and just checked the figure in the Tax Summary.  It’s the Standard Deduction, not the Itemized Deductions.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

At some point did you unintentionally elect the Charitable Cash Contribution under CARES Act?

This deduction may have been elected when your return was in standard deduction mode and now that you qualify for itemized deductions, the software is 'stuck' between the two.  You may see the deduction on line 10b of the 1040.

If you are in TurboTax Online, the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act appears as the end of Deductions & Credits. First you have to pass the screen Based on what you told us, the standard deduction is best for you at the end of Deductions & Credits.

But you have to qualify for the standard deduction before the screen appears.  So you may want to change the value of one or more itemized deductions to $1 so that you qualify for the standard deduction.  Follow these steps: 

• At the top of the screen, click on Deductions & Credits.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Wrap up tax breaks.
  • Continue through several screens.
  • At the screen Based on what you told us, the standard deduction is best for you, click Continue.
  • At the screen Any Charitable Cash Contributions? delete the dollar amount.
  •  Continue through Federal Review to make sure that things look correct.
  • Then restore your itemized deductions dollar amounts.

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bobh6

I have exactly the same problem and I am using Turbo Tax Deluxe not the free version.  Yesterday I waited an hour for someone to call me back and then they were of no help.  Recommended I call again but today I can't find the number to call.  Had the same problem last year and eventually did them by hand.  Turbo Tax is a bad software!!

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, you have to select itemized deduction.  To select itemized deduction:

1. Click the Federal Taxes tab. ...
  2. Then, Deductions & Credits. ...
  3. Scroll all the way to the bottom, and click Wrap up tax breaks
  4. Continue through the interview screens.
  5. Under "Let's make sure you're taking the deduction to keep your taxes accurate", select "we're itemizing our deductions", click continue.

Eligible taxpayers use Schedule A  to figure itemized deductions.  In most cases,  federal income tax will be less if you take the larger of your itemized deduction

THIS IS THE FIX - THANK YOU!   I'm going to create a new topic to put this more in the forefront.

jvpetito

How was this problem resolved?

I have been on the phone with about a dozen reps who could view my screen and none of them were able to solve this problem.

Did you have to pay another $100 for the advanced help?  If not, how did you avoid it?

I tried that and it still doesn't work on the Premier edition.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies