turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AL69

Inability to get turbo tax to itemize deductions for maryland state income tax when federal used standard deduction.

turbo tax doesn't automatically determine that itemizing is better in my case for Maryland since my itemized deduction of $23000 is much greater than  Maryland standard deduction of $4500 versus federal standard deduction of  $26600 for two people age 65 or older. So I need to itemize for state and use standard for federal . But can find no way to make  this happen

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Inability to get turbo tax to itemize deductions for maryland state income tax when federal used standard deduction.

According to the Maryland tax website, that is not allowed.

"Also please keep in mind that the Federal Tax Cuts and Jobs Act has increased the Standard Federal Deduction beginning with the 2018 tax year, providing an attractive alternative to itemized deductions. Unfortunately once a Maryland taxpayer claims a standard deduction on their Federal return, they must also claim a standard deduction on their Maryland return."

https://taxes.marylandtaxes.gov/Resource_Library/Tax_Forms_and_Instructions/Individual_Tax_Forms_and...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jpdandced

Same thing happened to me.  Maryland are thieves!

I have read that Maryland will allow for itemized deductions with Federal standard deduction for 2020 taxes, however I can't find a way to select this option in Turbo Tax State return for Maryland. Does anyone know how to do this?

Agreed. A major rip off!!!!!

I think this policy was changed for 2020 tax year. Just need to figure out how to do it in turbo tax.

@jawaggoner wrote:

I have read that Maryland will allow for itemized deductions with Federal standard deduction for 2020 taxes, however I can't find a way to select this option in Turbo Tax State return for Maryland. Does anyone know how to do this?

For tax year 2019 if you use the Standard Deduction on your federal tax return you must use the Standard Deduction on your Maryland state income tax return.

I find nothing that indicates that this has changed for tax year 2020 on a Maryland state income tax return.

If you have a link for the 2020 Maryland income tax return specifying any change please post the link.

Much of the 2020 program is non functional especially changes that just happened ... until it is updated to include these changes all you can do is wait.

Click on the REVIEW tab to see what it is and when it is estimated to be ready (when operational) ... 

IRS Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

·         

State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

Some work around this issue, it's possible to get a higher state MD refund if it's to do with either itemizing vs. standard from federal. If you are filing single for example and your itemized total was $12 130, federal level will automatically elect standard because it is higher. MD for single standard is $2 300.  Since Itemized and standard are so close in the amount, elect to use the itemized in Federal level so that you can itemize in MD state. You may lose  a few dollars in Federal but you will likely gain a few hundred dollars increase on MD.  I assisted a turbo tax client and we did this, her federal refund was reduced by $66 but her MD refund increased by approximately $400. 

This only works with the itemized and standard being so close together. It's certainly worth playing around with it to determine the changes.

I just confirmed that we must use the same deduction (standard or itemized) that we used on the Federal return on the state return - specifically checked for 2020 - according to the Maryland state website as of July 15, 2021.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies