Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401K distribution; how to classify for tax purposes based on choices provided in Turbotax

after entering the 1099, it's asking me to select the source of the distribution and any other NJ information

Choices:

- Military benefit or survivors benefits

- Disability benefits (under age 65 only)

- Three Year rule pension or 401k benefits

- General rule pension or 40k benefits

- None of the above

Military and disability benefits don't apply to me.  I don't know which of the other 3 to select.  If I select "general rule", it gives me a refund on my state of NJ return,  I don't think it's three year pension rule based on the defnition.   If I select, "none of the above", the amount of the distribution becomes taxable in NJ.  Help!!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

401K distribution; how to classify for tax purposes based on choices provided in Turbotax

The 3 year rule should only be chosen if you will get all of your money back in 3 years. General rule will determine the taxable part of a distribution from a contributory plan other than an IRA.

NJ taxes retirement savings while working and then gives an exclusion for retirement pay. See page 21 of Resident Income Tax Return Instructions lines 28a and 28b for exclusions.

To see your forms and verify you are getting the correct exclusion:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Amy.  Can you tell me what the "simplified" method is? and how that relates to the "General Rule" if at all?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This link will give you a good explanation of the difference: Simplified Method vs General Rule

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies