Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2021 Additional Child Tax Credit disallowed when Turbotax Said I was entitled to it

@egg1 Pull up you 2021 tax return and look at your Form 1040.  On page 1 in the dependent's name section are the boxes for the Child Tax Credit checked for each child?

Look at Schedule 8812 and see how the credit was calculated.  Follow each line of the schedule until you are on Part 1-B line 14i which is the amount of the Child Tax Credit to be entered on Form 1040 Line 28.

egg1
Level 2

2021 Additional Child Tax Credit disallowed when Turbotax Said I was entitled to it

Joint Income was under $400,000.   It only calculated it to be $6,000.   Line 4C of Form 8812 calculated to 2 children since 1 was under under 6 as of the end of 2021.

How do I get access to Worksheet 5, for Line 5 which should show this calculation?

The Line 5 Worksheet is an internal TurboTax calculation.

But, go to this IRS website for the Schedule 8812 Instructions (2021) on page 4 for the Line 5 worksheet - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040s8--2021.pdf#page=4

egg1
Level 2

Thanks.  Also, I checked the 1040 Page 1 and all 3 Children have the check box checked for Child Tax Credit

egg1
Level 2

Hi.  Based on the Worksheet Link you provided me for Line 5 calculation, when I manually fill it out I am resulting in the same $6,000 that Turbotax Calculated.

Very strange that the IRS is picking some up somewhere which is not related to an advanced payment.

@egg1 wrote:

Hi.  Based on the Worksheet Link you provided me for Line 5 calculation, when I manually fill it out I am resulting in the same $6,000 that Turbotax Calculated.

Very strange that the IRS is picking some up somewhere which is not related to an advanced payment.

Ok...Sign onto your IRS tax account and see if the advance child tax credit is entered in your account - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

Also, your spouse should sign onto their account to see if advance child tax credits were entered in their account.

@egg1 Yes----if you still have not looked at your IRS account yet, you need to do so.  You are insisting that you did not receive advance payments but you need to find out if the IRS says you did receive them.  Check the accounts for both spouses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
egg1
Level 2

Okay thanks, I will set up access to my IRS account and check it out.  Thank you.

js771

The IRS sent us a similar letter.  I have reviewed it many times over.  I have also reviewed all instructions from the IRS.  I have also reviewed exactly how much advance child credit payments they sent us.  I think this is an error on the IRS part in calculation.  I am going to challenge the calculation over the phone and in tax court if necessary. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies