Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my business storage shed be claimed as office space deduction, even though it was claimed as an expense the year it was bought?

I'm self employed- landscape maintenance.  I have a shed on my property I use to store my pesticides and fertilizers, and some business equipment, its used 100% for my business.  I claimed the shed as an expense the year I bought it (2015). Am I able/allowed to deduct it as "office space", inventory storage space, or not, since it has already been claimed as an expense in the previous year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardK

Can my business storage shed be claimed as office space deduction, even though it was claimed as an expense the year it was bought?

No, if your storage shed is a separate structure (not part of your home) and you have already expensed it, you can't claim a deduction for the structure, click here for IRS publication 587 Business Use of Your Home, however you are allowed to deduct direct expenses such as utilities and other expenses directly attributed to the shed.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RichardK

No, if your storage shed is a separate structure (not part of your home) and you have already expensed it, you can't claim a deduction for the structure, click here for IRS publication 587 Business Use of Your Home, however you are allowed to deduct direct expenses such as utilities and other expenses directly attributed to the shed.

@TurboTaxRichardK Thank you!

What do you mean by “you are allowed to deduct direct expenses such as utilities and other expenses directly attributed to the shed.”

As in electricity ran to it? Or what other expenses? Thanks for your time! 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, the previous answer was referring to expenses related directly to the shed, but that were not previously deducted when it was constructed.  Electricity used by the shed is a good example since that would be a recurring expense year after year.  

@Jlwilkins93090

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hrhppg

What if you you haven't already expensed it, what would the option be then?  Or how would you expense it.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@hrhppg It should either be expensed in the year that you bought it or depreciated over time beginning in the year that you bought it.  

Here is an article on what to depreciate and when.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies