Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need help figuring out if I itemized my deductions!

I am filling my taxes this afternoon and came across the question: Did your state or local tax refund count as income? Then the following piece of text: "Your state or local tax refund received in 2019 could count as income if you itemized your deductions in 2019. if you did this, your tax return would have a Schedule A."

My parents filed my taxes for me last year, and this is my first year doing them myself. I have my tax refund documents from last year, and have been scouring them for an answer. I have up to Line 23, and then have a Schedule 1 that goes up to line 36. I don't see Line 40 on the 1040 Form anywhere (which I was told could help me with this question). I also don't see anything called "Schedule A." Please help this newbie!

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you are not a homeowner, you most likely would not have a Schedule A.  This question would not apply in your situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The line numbers have been changing each year.  For 2018 returns,  check 1040 line 8 for Standard Deduction or Itemized.

If you have one of these amounts on line 8 you took the Standard Deduction and your state refund is not taxable.

For 2018 the standard deduction amounts are:
Single 12,000 + 1,600 for 65 and over
HOH 18,000 + 1,600 for 65 and over
Joint 24,000 + 1,300 for each 65 and over
Married filing Separate 12,000 + 1,300 for 65 and over

Thank you so much! This was the information I needed. Looks like on my Lien 8, I have a different amount that what my standard deduction would be according to the information you shared with me, which would mean my parents itemized my deduction last year I think.

Hmm, no I am not a home owner, but I just learned that I did not take the standard deduction (the number in Line 8 doesn't match the Standard Deduction for my filing status). This would mean my tax refund is taxable, I believe... right?

Just thought of something.  If your parents claimed you as a dependent then your Standard Deduction might be a different amount.  How much is on line 8?  It would be unusual now for people to itemize since the SD has increased so much.  And if you do not have a schedule A you took the Standard Deduction so the Refund is NOT taxable.  

$10,803

What does the Schedule A look like? In the report TurboTax sent my parents last year after they filed my taxes for me, the following were included: 1040, Schedule 1, Tax History Report, Healthcare Entry Sheet, Tax Payments Worksheet, Childs Investments and Net Capital Gain Worksheet, and. Federal Carry over Worksheet. No Schedule A in sight.

10,803 is Less than the Standard Deduction.  So you must have been claimed as a dependent.  If you are a dependent your Standard Deduction is only your earned income for the year + $350.  So you must have had about 10,453 of wages.  Oh you said you have Child investments?  Then you were a dependent and took the Standard Deduction.  Ask your parents.

You would know if you Itemized.  That is things like mortgage interest and property tax, medical, Charity on Schedule A.  See Schedule A.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa_18.pdf 

Yes, my parents claimed me as a dependent.

That would make sense, because my earned income was (in Line 1) $10,453 for the year. 10,453 + $350 (which is the standard deduction according to you) = $10,803 which is in my Line 8.

This means I took the standard and my refund is NOT taxable. Thank you!!!!!

Whew!  Glad we got that figured out.  You don't even have to enter it.

Thanks so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies