Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

moomin123

It says my Form 1040 has a zero value in Line 9 - Total income. However, I entered my foreign earned wages. What should I do?

Here is what I was told in the Review screen.

Not Eligible for Electronic Filing
It looks like you have a tax situation in your federal return that makes it ineligible for e-filing, according to IRS rules.

Here are the details:

All of the following lines of Form 1-4- have a zero value:
Line 9 - Total income
Line 11 - Adjusted gross income
Line 16 - Tax
Line 18 - Total Tax Before Credits AND Other Taxes
Line 21 - Total credits
Line 24 - Total tax
Line 33 - Total payments
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It says my Form 1040 has a zero value in Line 9 - Total income. However, I entered my foreign earned wages. What should I do?

it sounds like that all you have is foreign income. If so, then it was excluded leaving you with no income to report. In this case you can mail your return in or you can add $10 taxable income to your return to see if you can electronically file.  Here is the best way to do this so you can electronically file your return.

1. Go to federal>income and expenses>all income>>show more 
  2. Less Common Income> Start
  3. Miscellaneous Income,>start
  4. Other reportable income>start
  5. Next screen asks Any Other Taxable Income>yes
  6. The next screen will allow you to report the income with a brief explanation.
  7. I would report $10 income and you can say amount reported in order to efile. 
  8. Let me know if this works for you.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

it sounds like that all you have is foreign income. If so, then it was excluded leaving you with no income to report. In this case you can mail your return in or you can add $10 taxable income to your return to see if you can electronically file.  Here is the best way to do this so you can electronically file your return.

1. Go to federal>income and expenses>all income>>show more 
  2. Less Common Income> Start
  3. Miscellaneous Income,>start
  4. Other reportable income>start
  5. Next screen asks Any Other Taxable Income>yes
  6. The next screen will allow you to report the income with a brief explanation.
  7. I would report $10 income and you can say amount reported in order to efile. 
  8. Let me know if this works for you.
rdepaula

Is this solution 100% safe and recommended?
I'm in the same situation as the OP because I worked abroad but would really prefer to e-file.  However, I'm not sure if there might be any repercussions for reporting a fictitious $10 miscellaneous income just to e-file, or if this is something the IRS is used to and doesn't care about?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes. This is a common ploy used for years in order to be able to efile. I have prepared returns for social security recipients who had no taxable income but wanted to file so they be regarded as responsible citizens. in those days, i would put $1 interest income into their returns just so it can be efiled. In your instance, $10 is below your filing threshold for the year thus technically, you do not need to file. This is perfectly acceptable with the IRS. 

All I have is social security income and I get the same message.  Should I use something other than TurboTax to exile?

@hockeynut99  If your only income is Social Security you are not required to file a tax return.   If you just really want to file one anyhow, then enter $1 of interest so it will allow you to e-file.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@hockeynut99  wrote:

All I have is social security income and I get the same message.  Should I use something other than TurboTax to exile?

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and the benefits received are to be entered on a federal tax return. The benefits may be taxable depending on the amount of other income you have entered on your tax return.
However, if the Social Security benefits are the Only income to be reported on the tax return, then there is no reason or need to file a tax return.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I received the identical message when printing all forms.  On the printed forms for 1040 there are values in each of lines.  I had income from a number of sources.

So not sure what is happening.

But for me it's not what the "best" answer noted.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@Anonymous  Your situation sounds different. Can you clarify your situation? Do you have taxable income? Do you have deductions to zero taxable income? Are you required to even file a return? Please give us more information to help you.

MSR1968

Perfect! Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies