Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dtrainor

If I owe back taxes and back child support will the IRS take the back taxes first and the balance to child support? or does child support come out first?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I owe back taxes and back child support will the IRS take the back taxes first and the balance to child support? or does child support come out first?

Back taxes are usually first; the IRS handles that itself, but child support comes out thru the Treasury Offset Program (operated by another office in the Treasury Department). The IRS exists to collect taxes; they have to do that before paying child support, even if it is ultimately recouped to pay for government benefits to the child and/or custodial parent (one of the main reasons government is involved in collecting it).

I do not think it is right for the IRS to take all of a refund for back taxes. It should be split between them and the Custodial parent. Us Custodial Parents also would like to be paid for the arrears. We are the one raising the tax payers children. Just a thought for the IRS to consider.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies