Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was told that i should identify myself,but i haven't received a 5071 letter, I'm also out of the US so i can't do it in a office there. Do u know how should i proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I was told that i should identify myself,but i haven't received a 5071 letter, I'm also out of the US so i can't do it in a office there. Do u know how should i proceed?

Can you give us some background on this please? Who requested that you identify yourself, and for what purpose?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
keikocpa129
Returning Member

Hi 

I received 5071C  on Dec 23 2020 and I called the number on the letter on Jan 4 2021. But the agent who answered was not able to verify my identity due to the first year I filed a US tax return. She told me that I can fax all required documents ( letter 5071 C as well as supports) to the fax number 855-277-5038

However, the IRS website does not show the option to fax(only call the number or make an appointment). 

I already faxed it but should I make an appointment?

Since the IRS office is closed and I am not sure when they check faxed documents.

Thank you.

K

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should be OK since you faxed the requested documents to the number they told you to. Sometimes, it will go directly to the agent you were talking to on the phone. In any case, they will match up the documents you faxed with your tax return and then process it.

You can call the number you originally called, the one where you got the fax number from, and they may be able to give you an update, or at least confirm that they received the documents you faxed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Moodyblues53
Returning Member

The tax protection line told me that I had to mail my actual driver's licence and they would keep it for 16 weeks what

WHAT ????     A copy of the DL  but never the actual card !!!   Talk to them again ... you must have mis- understood.  The IRS will never ask you to do this at all ever. 

@Critter-3 I am sure you meant to say "you must have MIS-understood"

The IRS would NOT ask you to send in your actual driver's license to verify your identity

@Moodyblues53 

I HAVE TO VERIFY MY IDENTITY

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/security/tips-for-handling-identity-verification-requests-from-...

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/identity-verification-for-irs-letter-recipients

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Moodyblues53
Returning Member

I did not misunderstand because I said it back to her you mean to tell me that I have to take my actual driver's license put it into an envelope and mail it to you she said yes I said for how long she said for 16 weeks I said why she said that's because we need to identify you and that's what was said to me

@Moodyblues53   wrote:  "The tax protection line told me that I had to mail my actual driver's licence and they would keep it for 16 weeks"

What is the "tax protection line?"    Hopefully you didn't phone into some scam.   How were you contacted?  There are a lot of scams claiming to be the IRS.

@Moodyblues53 Hope you have not complied with that request---did you actually mail your drivers license somewhere?   Which would mean you are now driving around without a license?   Please clarify for us what you mean by the "tax protection line."   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Loribugger
Returning Member

Did you ever receive your tax refund? I e filed mine and received a letter 4883c. I was instructed to call which I did then a lady told me to verify which I did successfully but her system wasn’t able pull my record then she ask me to fax to fax number [phone number removed]. I really want to know if I would receive my return via direct deposit or mail. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies