turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mortgage was sold to another lender and I have 1098 forms from 2 lenders. How do I enter the second one

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

My mortgage was sold to another lender and I have 1098 forms from 2 lenders. How do I enter the second one

You can add the second form 1098 by following these steps:

• In TurboTax, open your return and click on Federal Taxes then on Deductions & Credits
  • Click Edit/Add next to Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance
  • On the Mortgage deduction summary page, click on Add a Lender (see attached screenshot)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

30 Replies

TURBO TAX 2018 edition Flawed..... awaiting TURBO TAX to respond to consumers
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You can add the second form 1098 by following these steps:

• In TurboTax, open your return and click on Federal Taxes then on Deductions & Credits
  • Click Edit/Add next to Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance
  • On the Mortgage deduction summary page, click on Add a Lender (see attached screenshot)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
atoney

Under the mortgage that was sold, do I put 0.00 for how much I owe 1-1-2019?
sg_313

I have the same question

I also have the same question!
PJT3

Same question here

same here .  it isnt giving me credit for the interest paid on my primary home for the amount of interest paid after the loan transferred to another lender . this is not accurate. something is flawed because of the inability to define the loan transfer date and the transfer balance .  Run the numbers as if your loan was not transferred and as if you kept paying the interest to the original lender resulting in a single 1098 to see the difference!!!! (yes two 1098 but its the same loan . same terms . no refinance . no change other than one leader transfer sold it to another lender within the same tax year). this is a primary home and my name and secured by the property . all of which should qualify.  if the lender did not sell transfer my loan and it stayed all on just one 1098 i would get credit for the entire amount so why am i not getting credit for ALL interest paid to the same loan occurring before year end?  WHy is this software not crediting interest paid after the transfer when the loan terms didnt change? Both 1098 show the same Loan origination date!!!!!!   hello . its the same loan......

TURBO TAX 2018 has a FLAW and they are not answering nor fixing this . Switch to another tax software because they are failing to respond . no one will wait for a company that has flawed software and not responding to fix it or justify this. your loss TURBO TAX 2018.  payer/borrowers cannot control if their loan is transferred. this happens to everyone every few years and ive never seen software not be able to determine that both 1098 are for the same loan that was merely transfer sold to a different lender with no changes in terms

people want to file right away to get refunds .  hello TURBO TAX .  answer quick or potentially lose customers for the 2018 tax year

I have put the exact same data into HRblock Tax software but it calculates that i get the credit for both 1098s, the entire mortgage interest paid .

I have been with TURBO TAX for 8 years now and want to stay,  Please answer and dont force me to decide that i have to change to a new sw company . id rather keep my tax history all here.  You are giving me no choice unless you answer this within a day or two
mab5177

I need help with this as well. The Software is asking me for the ending mortgage principal for the new lender, which is not listed on box 2 of the 1098 since they did not have my mortgage in 2018. I have the outstanding mortgage principal for the old lender but the software is NOT letting me file without entering a number for the new lender as well. I called my new lender and they told me to leave it blank or to just put the same amount as the previous lender did. But if I do it, it will not match their own copy to the IRS so I don't know what to do and if the software is even calculating my credit for both 1098s correctly. Please help me, I need to file this immediately. Thank you!
JM2

I have the same issue.
sg_313

I asked the question again here: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4549579-mortgage-was-sold-to-new-lender-after-one-month-do-i-enter...>

I put the same original loan amount for both the original and new lender. For the original lender I included the points (started in 2018), the amount of interest paid, and a remaining balance of $0 for 1/1/19. For the new lender I put the interest paid and the actual remaining balance. My federal return was just accepted so it seems to have worked out.
caseycg

I also have the same issue.  My mortgage on my home was sold to a new lender n 2018.  No matter which way I enter the data from the 2 1098s (end of year and beginning of year), TurboTax will not include the interest paid to the new lender in the calculations.   There is a flaw somehow with this program.  Fix and provide an update.  

comment to sg_313,  I have done exactly as you already by putting remaining amount from original lender as 0 .  difference is . you mentioned you paid point and started your loan in 2018.   rest of us . did not . our loans are many many years older and still the original loan   i had no points on my loan and others if they had point's likely paid on them years ago so your answer does not apply to the majority of us that answered ."I've already deducted all the points I paid in 2005 or I didn't pay any points." (or whatever year your loan origination date was that appears on Both 1098s). If both 1098s show same loan origination date . you did not refinance or change terms, your loan was merely sold to a new lender.  if your loan origination date is different between the two 1098s, you did.  this question chain is for people who have the same loan origination date on both 1098s and purchased before the year 2018 and hav selected no points or already deducted points.  there is a flaw in the software for these cases

And why isnt Turbo Tax responding?  monitoring the blog .  or is that reserved for those who pay for the support?   hello turbo tax .  these are NOT tax advise questions, this is flawed software causing these questions .  
caseycg

dradenekas.... I completely agree!   Programming flaw.... where is TurboTax and why aren't they responding??  However, when I entered the same 1/1/2019 and end of year amounts in both of the lenders, the program calculated correctly (however, my new lender does not have anything in box 2 on 1098, but I put what was in Box two on old lender).  It's a work around for the TurboTax flaw.  However, I am not submitting until we get a response, as I don't know if the form will get rejected or be subject to audit as new lender 1098 submitted doesn't exactly match that which was provided by lender.  (obviously new lender does not have a 1/1/2019 amount).  
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies