Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to claim EITC with no child but qualifying dependents?

The IRS website notes that taxpayers can claim the EITC without qualifying child if the meet certain requirements https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/who-qualifies-for-the-ea... . I claim my elderly parents as dependents on my tax return and meet the requirements, but Turbotax seems to not give me the EITC? i don't understand

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Please follow these steps to see if you qualify for the EIC:

1. On the top click on “Deductions & Credits”
  2. Scroll down to “You and Your Family” and click “Show more
  3. Click on “Start” next to “Earned Income Credit (EIC)

Please review What are the qualifications for the Earned Income Credit (EIC or EITC)?

Please be aware, we cannot see the details of your return. Do you have earned income? Is your earned income & AGI below the limit ($16,480, $22,610 if filing jointly)? Did you have an investment income of more than $10,300?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Please follow these steps to see if you qualify for the EIC:

1. On the top click on “Deductions & Credits”
  2. Scroll down to “You and Your Family” and click “Show more
  3. Click on “Start” next to “Earned Income Credit (EIC)

Please review What are the qualifications for the Earned Income Credit (EIC or EITC)?

Please be aware, we cannot see the details of your return. Do you have earned income? Is your earned income & AGI below the limit ($16,480, $22,610 if filing jointly)? Did you have an investment income of more than $10,300?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

yes earned income is less than $16,480 and no investment income

Hal_Al
Level 15

Dependents, other than "Qualifying Children",  do not get you any additional EITC.

A taxpayer claiming his parents as dependents, gets the same EITC as a single person, claiming no dependents. 

Claiming adult dependents does not get you the earned income credit.   It may get you the $500 credit for other dependents, which is not refundable, but will reduce tax owed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Do I at least get the same EITC as a single person claiming no dependents? @xmasbaby0 

Do I at least get the same EITC as a single person claiming no EITC QUALIFYING dependents?   

YES you do  ... of course if your income is low enough to get the EITC then claiming  a parent will do you little to no good as that other dependent credit of $500 is non refundable and can only take your fed tax bill to zero. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

For people with no kids, $16,500 is the upper income range for EITC.  The maximum amount of EITC, for people with no kids. is $560 and occurs in the $7300 to $9200 income range. 

See the 2022 EIC table at:

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040tt#idm140702909059168

Earned Income Credit—-the rules are back to the “old” rules—

Those under 25 and over 65 without children are not eligible as they were uniquely in 2021.   And you cannot use your income from any earlier tax year to get the EIC for a 2022 return.  There is no “lookback” for 2022.  EIC for 2022 will be based on the income you earned by working in 2022.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899157-what-are-the-qualifications-for-the-earned-income-credit-e...

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/use-the-eitc-assistant

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies