turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter 1098s for the original mortgage and the refinanced loan that paid off the original mortgage? TurboTax seems to be calculating the balance twice.

Since it is double counting the balance, the system is pushing me over the $750k limit and not allowing all mortgage interest paid. The refinanced loan was just for the existing balance (i.e., no money out). I'm assuming that I'm answering the questions wrong but finding it confusing as to what is considered a refinance versus original loan.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

How do I enter 1098s for the original mortgage and the refinanced loan that paid off the original mortgage? TurboTax seems to be calculating the balance twice.

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue with their Home Mortgage Average Balance. This can cause in the the Home Mortgage Interest to be incorrectly limited.

If you're experiencing  the issue above,  please go here to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

37 Replies
DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue with their Home Mortgage Average Balance. This can cause in the the Home Mortgage Interest to be incorrectly limited.

If you're experiencing  the issue above,  please go here to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.

@DaveF1006 do you know when this is expected to be resolved by TT, seems to be impacting quite a few customers.  Any ETA would be appreciated as this is the only thing holding me up from filing my taxes.

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

Since you have multiple 1098's the issue is that you will have to clear the balance due from the old mortgage.

Try the following:

1. Log into TurboTax 
  2. Go to the federal section and choose Deductions & Credits
  3. On the page “Your tax breaks”, select Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098) and Start
  4. Delete any Forms 1098-MTGE you have already entered in the program. Then choose the button “Add a 1098”. 
  5. Enter the details from your FIRST Form 1098 – the one from your old mortgage company or before the refinance occurred. Be certain to enter all the information, including the amount in Box 2 of your 1098. According to the updated 2019 instructions for Form 1098, Box 2 should show an amount. For a loan prior to 01/01/19, the amount should be the balance of your loan as of 01/01/19. For the loan taken out in 2019 (including refinance loan or when the loan is sold to another mortgage company), the balance should be as of the date of the loan origination.
  6. Continue through the interview until you reach the screen “Was this loan paid off or refinanced with a different lender in 2019?” If you’re entering the original loan, say No
  7. On the screen “Is this loan a home equity line of credit or a loan you’ve ever refinanced”, say No
  8. Continue to complete the first 1098. 
  9. Add your next 1098. Be certain to enter all the information, including the amount in Box 2 of your 1098. If there is not an amount in this box, please contact your mortgage lender for the amount. It is required for an accurate calculation
  10. When you reach the screen “Is this loan a home equity line of credit or a loan you've ever refinanced?” say Yes. Select the correct radio buttons and Continue to complete the interview.
  11. Click Done. If presented with a follow-up question about the interest limitation and your loan balance is under $750,000 then your deduction is not limited - say No. If your loan is over $750,000 then the deduction is limited. Say Yes. You will need to manually calculate the adjustment. Please see Page 12 of IRS Pub. 936 for a worksheet that will help you calculate the amount. 

@JohnB5677 This doesn't work.  I have three 1098s as I refinanced my mortgage twice this year.  None of my mortgage amounts were over 500k but when I enter all of these into TT Online, I am not receiving the full interested deduction.  I noticed the new table that was added to put in when your mortgage was paid off and the final payment amount but that still doesn't work.  The only thing that seems to do the trick is clearing out Box 2 value on the 1098 but I am concerned as I would not be entering exactly what is on the 1098.  

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

@DaveF1006 I already did that, I was just wondering if there is an ETA for this issue as it is the only thing holding me up from filing my taxes.

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

We have no ETA at this time but we will promise to notify you once we do.

Here is a trick if your balance never went over the maximum ... then all that entering of all the separate forms is not needed ... it is for your use ONLY  and since the IRS only gets one amount on the Sch A ... you can  just enter the information ONCE by simply  tally up all the mortgage interest onto that one form entry.  Problem solved.  

@DaveF1006 @JohnB5677 can you confirm what @Critter-3 has posted, that the IRS never actually receives the mortgage balance/origination data but only the deduction amount on the Schedule A.

They get the data from the form issuer  not the taxpayer.  All the messy entering in the program is simply to apply the limits ... so if you know you are below the limits you can bypass all the foolishness.   LOOK at the Sch A ... note they ONLY get a total on line  8a. 

My question is why is TurboTax sending me 5 emails a day to complete my taxes and not proactively indicating that it has flawed logic and can't accurately complete my returns? I wasted hours yesterday messing with the 1098s assuming that the poorly worded interview questions were resulting in a problem, not a technical issue with the software. Agree an ETA would be nice...

Yep just looked but you would think given how many people refinanced multiple times in 2020, TT would have had this tested and working properly or at least had the issue resolved when users first started reporting the issue, this seems to be a carry over from last year also.  Kind of disappointing as isnt this what we are paying them for???

Totally agree Jason, I have messed around with this for way too long, went over to TaxAct and they had no issue at all but given I have always use TurboTax was trying to avoid carry over issues.  

I refinanced 2 mortgages (my home and my 2nd home both no cash out).  TT is limiting the amount of interest which is preventing me from itemizing and forcing me into the standard deduction.  My total mortgage debt was under $575.000 before and after the refis and I took no cash out.  I have wasted several hours trying to see if I was filling the forms out incorrectly.  The worksheets ask questions that are not addressed Easy Steps.  Maybe they don't have to be answered in all cases but it is hard to do your taxes if TT can't even do your itemized deductions!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies