Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, I am filing taxes for the first time, i am an international student and i have a w-2 form at the present, want assistance on understanding the entire processes

From the beginning on how to fill a tax form and which platform to upload it on as to receive tax credit for the year 2023
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Hi, I am filing taxes for the first time, i am an international student and i have a w-2 form at the present, want assistance on understanding the entire processes

You say that you are an international student---so you might not be able to use TurboTax.

If you are a non-resident alien, your return must be filed on Form 1040NR, which cannot be prepared using TurboTax.  You can use TT’s partner, sprintax:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

A resident alien will file an IRS form 1040 tax return.  TurboTax will assist you in filing an IRs form 1040 tax return.  What tax credit do you think that you would qualify for?

A nonresident alien will file an IRS form 1040NR  tax return.  Sprintax may be able to assist you in filing an IRS form 1040NR.

The IRS uses two tests:

1. the green card test and 
  2. the substantial presence test

for assessing your alien status. If you satisfy the requirements of either one, you are considered a resident alien for income tax purposes; otherwise, you are treated as a non-resident alien.

If you are an alien with a green card, meaning the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service allows you to reside in the country legally, you are a resident alien. 

However, if you do not have a green card and spend at least 31 days in the U.S. during the current tax year and a total of 183 days during the last three tax years (inclusive of the current tax year), you will usually satisfy the physical presence test and are also treated as a resident alien.

You may be an "exempt individual" for purposes of the substantial presence test.

An “exempt individual” for purposes of this test may be:

• A teacher or trainee temporarily present in the United States under a “J” or “Q” visa, who substantially complies with the requirements of the visa.
  • A student temporarily present in the United States under an “F,” “J,” “M,” or “Q” visa, who substantially complies with the requirements of the visa.

This is a complex portion of tax law.  See also this TurboTax Help.

@millshah01 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies