turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brit-dave
Returning Member

I have 3 accounts with my bank none of which have earned more than $10n interest during 2016.

The bank informs me they do not need to send me a 1099-INT because of the new IRS rules. Do I not enter this interest on my tax form?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have 3 accounts with my bank none of which have earned more than $10n interest during 2016.

FYI, the iRS rules they are referring to are not new.  The $10 limit has been in effect for as long as I remember and I've been doing this for over 45 years.

That being said, if you are required to file a Federal income tax return, you are required to include all taxable income whether or not the payer has to send you a form reporting it to you and the IRS. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

FYI, the iRS rules they are referring to are not new.  The $10 limit has been in effect for as long as I remember and I've been doing this for over 45 years.

That being said, if you are required to file a Federal income tax return, you are required to include all taxable income whether or not the payer has to send you a form reporting it to you and the IRS. 

brit-dave
Returning Member

The three accounts do not individually have interest income greater than $10 but the sum of the interest from all there accounts is greater than $10. Do I enter each account on a separate line for the bank or just enter the (greater than $10) value for the sum of the accounts as a single entry for the bank ?

Either way will be fine.  The IRS only requires a complete Schedule B if your total interest and/or dividends exceeds $1,500.
brit-dave
Returning Member

Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies