turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mlpowers
Returning Member

check this entry message - 1040/1040sr Wks: Line 11 is to large

I am receiving the message during checking that says "1040/1040SR Wks:  Line 11 is to large".   On line #11 it says "Enter the amount to report on Schedule 3 line 12e", the amount is currently 0.00.  So my question is how can it be to large if it is 0.  This section is under the "Deferral for Certain Schedule H or SE filers Smart Worksheet".  On "Schedule 3" line #12 E is also 0 (this is in the section "Other Payments and Refundable Credits".  What should I be looking for to resolve this entry?

Thanks

Mark

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
mlpowers
Returning Member

I really think this is a bug with TurboTax (but I'm not a tax person).   This seems to be with the SE tax deferral and the checking process really wants a value entered into the window (I believe it should be 0.00), if I enter 1.00 it gives me an additional amount of tax on my refund, but then reports in the checking process that the value value is to much.  I would really prefer not to defer any tax. Anybody have a suggestion please?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, what has happened is that this section may have been visited and then declined, but since it was visited, it is presumed you did want to defer some of the tax. But, you later chose to not defer any self-employment tax, which is allowable.

Line 11 is adjusted gross income, so it should have a value, and is likely more than 0 or 1.00.

To get the system to update, try these two trouble shooting steps:

First, revisit the section for the Self-employment tax deferral entry and accept it, change it, and then decline it by deferring 0:

1. Return to the Deductions & Credits section.
  2. Scroll to Tax relief related to COVID-19 and Show More.
  3. Select Self-employment tax deferral and select Revisit.
  4. Answer Yes at the next screen to get back to Let's start by getting your eligible income.
    1. If you do not want to defer any self-employment income, "Enter your eligible self-employment income"
      1. Enter 0 (as in 0 is the portion of self-employment I will defer) or alternatively,
      2. Enter 280/366ths of your income to reflect the income from March 27-December 31, 2021.
    2. Select Continue.
    3. At Tell us how much you'd like to defer, "Enter amount" should be 0.
      1. Select Continue.
  5. Scroll down and select Wrap up Tax Breaks and Continue.
  6. I recommend running through the Federal Review again.

Secondly, if the error is still in the return, it is because Sch SE-T or Sch SE-S is not updating properly. To update the return automatically, it is best to close out completely and close the browser, as well. Re-open in Chrome on a PC.

1. Delete the Sch SE that applies--(Sch SE-T is for Taxpayer, Sch SE-S for Spouse)--by following these steps:
    1. From the left menu, select Tax Tools.
    2. Select Tools.
    3. Scroll to Delete a Form.
    4. Scroll to Sch SE-T and/or Sch SE-S and select Delete.
  2. Return to the self-employment income & expenses interview in the Income & Expenses section and select Edit/Add.
    1. Select Edit for your business.
    2. Scroll down to Done so that the Sch SE is recalculated. 
    3. Finish any other questions in the self-employment interview and click Continue.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  3. Review the return again.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this problem too and tried this solution. However, I am due a refund and it won't let me revisit the deferral section to enter "0". I don't want to defer any taxes. I have already paid Turbotax and it won't let me clear and start over.

tforest

I am encountering the same issue on the desktop version. I tried to follow your directions but they do not match up and I cannot get the error to go away.

Incidentally, I have a separate, but seemingly related error on Sch SE where where it says "Max deferral line 18 must be entered."

Can you provide a solution to these errors for the Desktop users?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got around this issue by switching to Chrome (was working in Firefox). The error language changed from "Line 11 is to large" to something like "cannot be blank." Typed in zeros since I didn't want to defer any taxes.

K Rojas

Having the same issue after entering info in moving expenses for work and deleting it afterwards, noticing that employer reimbursed expenses wouldn't apply. Please help!! Do I need to delete everything and start over?? Frustrating!

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I suggest just delete the Moving Expense deduction form 3903.

Here is how to delete the form:

Try deleting it this way:

In the top menu, click My Account, then

Tools, then

Delete a Form (within Other Helpful Links)

Select Delete next to the form 3903 and any related moving expense worksheets

Unless you are military,  the moving expense deduction (Form 3903) has been repealed for tax years 2018–2025, except for military members who were ordered to move as the result of a permanent change of station (PCS). These filers can still deduct their moving expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ysabel_64

Hello Kathryn,

I hope you find yourself well.  Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.  It helped tremendously!

htwomey25

Hello, I'm having this same issue and nothing I'm doing is letting me get past anything. I don't want to defer any payments, so why won't it let me leave it blank or put a 0?

Thanks,

Heather

bijoux

I've tried all your suggestions, and it is still erroring.  What should I do?

You  may need to clear your cookies and cache. Make sure your return is saved in your TurboTax account and then sign out. Clear the cache and delete the cookies on your computer, open a new browser, sign back into your account and try entering the information again. 

If that does not resolve the issue, then you can try to remove the worksheet and start it again.  

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

• Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  • In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

If this continues and you still see the error, please click the link to contact TurboTax customer support.

@bijoux

Stp79

My Fix: 

1. In the very top menu (grey area in the top part of the turbo tax window) click on FORMS (far left side) 
  2. Click 1040/1040SR Wks in the left menu 
  3. Scroll on the form on the right side until you see line 10.a
  4. Enter the same amount for lines10.a and 10.b
  5. Line 10.c should auto fill 
  6. Click EasyStep (top left corner of main navigation menu)
  7. Run Error Check again 

This will remove the error when they do the final review 

sfedd84
Returning Member

There is no line 10a, b, or c. Do you mean 12a, b, c? You can only enter a value between 0 and 600. Any entry still does not remove the error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies