saraiorth

Can I claim the Child/Dependant Care Credit when working as a Realtor? Income is from 1099-MISC

My husband is a Realtor and receives his earnings statement on a 1099-MISC. I work FT as well and receive a W2. We pay for childcare for our two children, yet when I entered the child/dependent care tax credit information it says we are not eligible because no wages have been entered. In reviewing other Q & A sections, it looks like both spouses filing need to have wages entered for this credit to populate correctly. What do I do since his work is as an independent contractor? We still have childcare expenses to deduct.

BarbL

His business income will count, in place of the wages normally reported on the W-2.  However, if his business reported a loss, you will not qualify for the dependent care credit.  The IRS rules require earned income from both spouses.

BarbL