turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I add micro-needling procedure costs for acne scarring under medical expenses deduction?

I have spent about $2,000 on micro-needling procedures for deep acne scarring from my highschool days done at a medical facility and I suppose it could be considered cosmetic but it is also to help with my mental health (confidence!).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Can I add micro-needling procedure costs for acne scarring under medical expenses deduction?

No, unfortunately, this is a cosmetic procedure and is not deductible.  The mental health argument (confidence) does not rise to the level of medically necessary to take a tax deduction for micro-needling.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

No, unfortunately, this is a cosmetic procedure and is not deductible.  The mental health argument (confidence) does not rise to the level of medically necessary to take a tax deduction for micro-needling.

Okiedokie figured it was worth a try looking into. thanks for the info! 🙂 

Mkleiman

I am curious as to why than reconstructive surgery would be considered tax deductible, but treatment for acne scarring (caused by a medical condition) is considered elective. Per the IRS, "You can include in medical expenses the amount you pay for cosmetic surgery if it is necessary to improve a deformity arising from, or directly related to, a congenital abnormality, a personal injury resulting from an accident or trauma, or a disfiguring disease." Why would the cost of the treatment of acne be considered deductible, but the cost of treating the disfigurement is not?

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Since this is a slightly gray area, if a doctor would provide a note saying the procedure was medically necessary, it might be deductible. [Edited 03/17/22 | 7:11 AM PST} 

Dajjr

To add additional context to this question, wouldn’t the treatment for atrophic scarring caused by genetic cystic acne, be tax deductible in the same sense that lasik is deductible? Both procedures are considered cosmetic and voluntary, but they both aim to correct disfigurement caused by genetics or injury. Genuinely asking since this is how I view it but may be wrong. Thank you! 

Dajjr

I just saw someone else asked this too last year. Thank you!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, according to the IRS in Publcation 502, you can include in medical expenses the amount you pay for cosmetic surgery if it is necessary to improve a deformity arising from, or directly related to, a congenital abnormality, a personal injury resulting from an accident or trauma, or a disfiguring disease.

@Dajjr @emtaxes555 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies