`

Because of the pandemic, my whole office has moved to work from home. Am I able to go on less than a month vacation to a different state and work from there for a while?

Ask your employer if they care if you work from "home" while on vacation in another state.  Not sure why you are asking us on an income tax forum.  But your question is confusing--if you are on "vacation" why would you be working--or do you mean you will take vacation time from your regular job and then work at some other job in another state for a short time?  If the job is in another state you may need to pay income tax to that state and file a tax return for the state next year.  But that may depend on the state.

@xmasbaby0 So I guess I didn't explain it very well.  I'm working part time and going to school full time.  School and work have both shifted to at home and online.  What I would like to do is go home and do all of that from home for a month (until fall semester starts back up).  My work has said that there are "tax issues", but they wouldn't explain further.  But I know that other people do this quite often, it is so common they even made up a term for it (workcation).  So I assume that there has got to be some kind of loophole like "as long as it is under x days it doesn't matter." 

Have a discussion with your employer so they can explain the "tax issues" they are worried about.  It may be the employer does not want to withhold state tax from your checks if you work in another state.  Some states have tricky rules about withholding tax for workers who work remotely.  As long as you get your job done, not sure why they would care where you do it from--or how they would know where you are.

Yea, I'll push back harder on the "tax issue", when I pushed originally they didn't really have a good answer.  Once again thank you for your help.

Another thing you need to be aware of here.

Work related expenses (such as a home office) for a W-2 employee are flat out not deductible. So you do not qualify to claim a home office and you can not claim any W-2 work related expenses. As of the 2018 tax year, W-2 work related expenses are no longer allowed.

If you are working remotely from another state and that state taxes personal income, you "may" be required to pay taxes to that state. Furthermore, your employer "may" be required to withhold taxes for that state too.

If the employer treats you like a contractor and issues you a 1099-MISC, then *YOU* are responsible for paying any and all taxes due to any and all taxing authorities empowered to impose tax on your income. As a 1099-MISC contractor *YOU* will also pay an additional 15.3% self-employment tax on top of your "regular" tax. This method *WILL* be costly for you.

@shiloh09630 wrote:

What is your home state, and what state will you be working in?

The only "tax issue" is likely to be that you may owe state income tax in the state you are visiting.  But that's pretty complicated and will require someone to do some research.  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**