Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xuqingsz

I can benefit from tax treaty exemption. How to submit(efile) form 8833 using the software?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I can benefit from tax treaty exemption. How to submit(efile) form 8833 using the software?

You will not be able to e file your return.  

For the tax treaty: First, you have to report your full income. Then you can enter the treaty exempt amount as negative income under "less common income". You will have to file form 8833 to claim an exception.  You can use Turbotax to prepare your return, but you need to print it  and mail the return along with the form 8833. 

Which category, under "less common income" should I use to report the tax-exempt amount (as negative income) under the treaty ?
acapsuc

I also have this question. Which category should I choose under "less common income" to deduct income under tax treaty?

As per the below link negative income should be under: Federal Taxes / Less Common Income / Miscellaneous Income 1099A, 1099C / Other Reportable
 <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3908288-i-am-a-chinese-student-studying-in-u-s-i-am-a-resident-ali...>

What is the mailing address to send forms 8833 and 1040?

This should be in the filing instructions that are printed with the tax return.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

It would depend on what form you're filing Form 8833 with.

Please see the IRS' Where to File Tax Returns - Addresses Listed by Return Type for guidance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

FOR YEARS, TURBO-TAX DOESN'T INCLUDE FORM 8833.

IT SEEMS , TO ME, THAT THERE IS A DEMAND FOR THE FORM 8833.

DOES TURBO-TAX BELIEVE THAT IT IS EASIER, FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS,TO  PRINT A SECOND COPY, GO TO THE POST OFFICE, WAIT IN LINE AND ADD ADDITIONAL  MONEY FOR POSTAGE, RATHER THAN PRESS ONE KEY TO E-FILE?

TaxAct lets you complete and file form 8833 electronically.

EXPLAIN WHY TURBO TAX DOES NOT INCLUDE FORM 8833

There is simply not enough demand among our customer base for TurboTax to include this form.

How do you know?  I don't recall ever having been asked, and I wouldn't have known about the need anyway until this year.  As it turns out, you may need need this form in some cases, people need to read the government guidance very carefully because there are some payments that don't require this form.

IF THIS IS CORRECT, THEN  WHY BOTHER WITH "LESS COMMON DEDUCTIONS AND CREDITS" TOPIC. 

ANYWAY, HAVING OWNED A BUSINESS FOR 30 PLUS YEARS,  THERE ARE ITEMS THAT I SELL ONLY ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR AND STILL I KEEP IT IN STOCK.  I CALL THIS GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. 

HAS TURBO TAX HEARD OF THIS.

I HOPE THAT OTHERS WILL CONTACT TURBO TAX DEMANDING THE ADDITION OF FORM 8833.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies