turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Apparent calculation error around Recover Rebate Credit

I followed your instructions to enter the stimulus payments that I received. Once I did, my refund went up substantially, presumably because that portion of my income wasn't taxable. However, the IRS says that TurboTax made a calculation error on the Recovery Rebate Credit and only gave me what showed prior to my entering the stimulus amounts. 

- We didn't make over the allowed amount

- Social Security numbers are correct

- Last names are fine

- No overage dependents

That just leaves "amount was computed incorrectly. 

I didn't do any computing and didn't enter anything in addition to what TT asked for. Can anyone explain why this happened?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

No the refund went up because it gave you the Stimulus amounts again on 1040 line 30.  You must have entered the amounts you already got wrong or in the wrong boxes.  Did you enter them in the 2 boxes?  

If you entered the total you got for both rounds in the same box it would think you didn't get the other one.  The IRS knows how much they already sent you.  You tried to claim it again on line 30.  Or did you get the second one after you filed?

I  didn't enter anything directly in any boxes - I always use the walkthrough and just choose what I want to work on. I can't figure out why you think I got the amounts wrong - TT asked me for the amounts and I entered them, straight from the bank statement. There is an amount on line 30 that matches the amount of one of the checks.

And no, I didn't get the second one after I filed.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@mkirkwag said "There is an amount on line 30 that matches the amount of one of the checks".

That should not be.  Anything you already got should not be on line 30.  That's where you claim (apply for) the amount(s) you didn't already get.  

The TurboTax  interview asks you  to enter (or confirm) the amount(s) you already got.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies