Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ejnei

2021 lookback rule

The article says the legislation excludes only 2020 unemployment?

2021 lookback rule

Only for 2020 can you exclude the 10,200 from unemployment.  That isn't the same as using your 2019 income to get a higher EIC in 2020 and 2021.   Or what are you asking about?

wonbyjc

2021 lookback rule

I was not asked this either when I completed my taxes with Turbo Tax on 1-13-2021.  

Shaiyla123
Returning Member

2021 lookback rule

Do I use my 2019 W2s and do I upload my 2020 unemployment compensation?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

2021 lookback rule

Earned income does not include unemployment compensation @Shaiyla123

Earned income includes all of the following types of income.

1. Wages, salaries, tips, and other taxable employee pay. Employee pay is earned income only if it is taxable. Nontaxable employee pay, such as certain dependent care benefits and adoption benefits, isn't earned income. But there is an exception for nontaxable combat pay, which you can choose to include in earned income, as explained later in this chapter.
  2. Net earnings from self-employment.
  3. Gross income received as a statutory employee

See Publication 596, Earned Income Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Shaiyla123
Returning Member

2021 lookback rule

Ok, thank you for clarification! Also, since I'm using the lookback feature this year, do I use my 2019 w2s? 

JillS56
Expert Alumni

2021 lookback rule

No, not your 2019 W-2, you need to look at your 2019 return to see what your earned income was on your 2019 return.   

How to Use the Lookback to Maximize your EIC

Shaiyla123
Returning Member

2021 lookback rule

Ok, so no w2s at all? I'm sorry for asking so many questions I just don't want my return rejected.

JillS56
Expert Alumni

2021 lookback rule

Please clarify your question.   What do you have for income?   

2021 lookback rule

Hello, I used the lookback in last years taxes, am I also able to use this rule again for my 2021 taxes? Will I get in trouble for using it twice?

Secondly I have no income for 2021 will it be okay to use 2019 income and receive credits? Will I get in trouble? Thanks!

2021 lookback rule

Yes you can!   The special lookback rule will allow lower income individuals to use their earned income from 2019 to determine their Earned Income Tax Credit and the refundable portion of the Child Tax Credit in 2020 and 2021.

How to use the Lookback provision
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/earned-income-credit/help/how-do-i-use-the-lookback-provision-to-m...

2021 lookback rule

okay so i can use it both tax years? I'm just nervous because it seems strange to be able to claim credits and get money when I haven't made any this year.

2021 lookback rule

Yes you can use your 2019 Income for both 2020 and 2021.

2021 lookback rule

Sorry to repeat, but just to clarify:  Retirees with $0 2021 income can claim EIC in 2021 using lookback to 2019 earned income?

2021 lookback rule

@domerdoc No.   If you did not WORK in 2021 and receive earned income you cannot get the EIC using the lookback rule.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies