turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tonkyponk

Do I need to file income tax in New Mexico even if I do not owe money or a refund if I am a non-resident but received New Mexico Unemployment payments for the year?

According to the New Mexico Taxation website it says that if someone receives any money whatsoever from New Mexico they must file a state tax return. I am no longer a resident but received Unemployment benefits for the year. TurboTax State software indicates I owe Zero and no Refund for New Mexico.  So, do I need to submit the state return or not? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Do I need to file income tax in New Mexico even if I do not owe money or a refund if I am a non-resident but received New Mexico Unemployment payments for the year?

Yes, you are correct and the form must be submitted/filed if you meet the filing requirement below. 

Nonresidents, including foreign nationals and persons who reside in states that do not have income taxes, must file here when they have a federal filing requirement and have income from any New Mexico source whatsoever. You must file Form PIT-1 to report and pay personal income tax. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct and the form must be submitted/filed if you meet the filing requirement below. 

Nonresidents, including foreign nationals and persons who reside in states that do not have income taxes, must file here when they have a federal filing requirement and have income from any New Mexico source whatsoever. You must file Form PIT-1 to report and pay personal income tax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies