Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GTLinSC

Why can I not complete my state tax and get my refund as a non-resident???

I live in South Carolina and work from home. My company is headquartered in Virginia and my division is in Alabama. The company deducted for Alabama state taxes, which I should get refunded as I am not a resident and in fact pay taxes in South Carolina on this income. For some reason turbotax shows $0 refund when I complete the Alabama state return and I cannot figure out how to change this. What do I do? Your commercials show a live person chatting in real time. Where is that feature? WHy am I having to answer a half dozen questions on product, platform, etc etc? Why am I posting this instead of talking to a "tax expert"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

File a non-resident Alabama income tax return to get your Alabama withholding back if your company withheld Alabama tax in error. The Alabama section of TurboTax does not let you adjust W-2 information so youll have to edit your W-2.

• Click on Wages & Income at the top
  • Edit/Add Job (W-2)
  • Click Review next to the correct W-2 on Your W-2 info so far
  • Continue on OK, let's update the info we have for you and your employer
  • Go to the Alabama row of the W-2. On Box 16 State wages, tips, etc. change the state wages to $0. The AL REFUND box at the top should change to match the amount of AL withholding in Box 17.

You can e-file Alabama, but since the income will not match the W-2, mail your AL-40NR instead. Include a copy of your South Carolina SC-1040 showing you reported all your income to SC and attach a note explaining that AL tax was withheld in error.

You can always get Live Tax Advice by clicking on the button at the top right of your screen. Your Tax Expert can help you, review your return or even do the return for you. Learn more at What is TurboTax Live with Full Service?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dhess1959

TurboTax Wants to charge me $40 For my state . But yet it says Federal and state tax tax returns Are supposed to be free until February 15th

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

@dhess1959 You will get one state download included with your return when you purchase a CD/Download version of TurboTax. But that is separate from e-filing the state return which is an additional amount.

2020 TurboTax CD/Download Product Guide

Please refer to this article below to view the other TurboTax products.

TurboTax 2020 Online product guide - Intuit Turbo Real ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies