Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter Income of/from Estates or Trusts (line 6 of PA Schedule RK-1) on my PA State Return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Where do I enter Income of/from Estates or Trusts (line 6 of PA Schedule RK-1) on my PA State Return?

You would first need to enter the information under the federal section.  The information will then transfer to the state section.  

Here are the steps 

• Sign in to your tax return, select Pick up where you left off
  • To the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "k1" and Enter
  • Select Jump to k1
  • Follow prompts
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a PA Schedule RK-1 for Beneficiary.  Where does that get entered in TurboTax for PA?  My understanding is that a Schedule J needs to be completed?

Information from the K-1 on the Federal is not flowing to the PA TurboTax.  And, in any case, the numbers are different on the RK-1 than they are on the K-1.  Please advise.

Did you get an answer to this? I am having the same problem.

Hello barbmcd328.  I am using the CD/Download version of TurboTax Premier.  That income gets entered on Schedule J.  Not sure where I eventually found the info, but to find the Schedule J  for PA in TurboTax:

1.Open your tax file, go to the State.

2.Go to Open Forms (possibly in upper left corner) - (this takes you out of the regular step-by-step process)

3.Either search for Schedule J and find it and click on it - OR - in that same area,

Open up the PA Individual (click on the + sign), then scroll to find the Schedule J and click on it to open;

There may be other ways to get to the PA Schedule J, but this is the  only way that I eventually found it.

-one way to get the actual manual form is to just go to the Pa.gov forms website and manually download it.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@barbmcd328 If you have a PA Schedule RK-1 you should also have a federal Form 1041 Schedule K-1? Enter that information first and it will flow into Pennsylvania. Otherwise your federal will be incorrect.

• Type k-1 in search in the upper right
  • Select Jump to k-1
  • Say YES to Do you want to review Schedules K-1 or Q?
  • Select Estates or trusts (Form 1041)

In the Pennsylvania section you will see Schedule K-1 income.

• Continue until you reach Income from Estates and Trusts.
  • Say YES to Do you want to work on your income from estates and trusts?
  • EDIT your estate or trust in the Estates and Trusts Summary
  • On Estate - PA Income, check the box I received a PA Schedule RK-1/NRK-1 for this estate or trust
  • Make any adjustments
wbaseley

I filled out Schedule K-1 in TT Premier 2022 and it did not trigger a PA RK-1 or any prompts for income from estates and trusts. I tried creating my own from scratch but the worksheet insists on me choosing S Corp or Partnership. No option for Estate.

JosephS1
Expert Alumni

To assist you with your question I first have to ask an obvious questions.  When you began to enter the Federal part of your K-1 did you choose the Estates or Trusts option on the type of K-1 page (screenshot below)

If you did indeed enter the information in the Estates or Trusts screens, it might have not been transferred to PA due to not having something recognizable for the PA module to activate for a 1041 RK-1.

If that is the case there is a workaround for this and it is simple.  Go back to the 1041 K-1 information page, click the box that shows income in boxes 1-5 and when the income items appear put a "1" in interest.  That will open the Estate K-1 area in the PA return area.  The following steps should be followed after placing the 1 in the interest line on the Federal K-1 input:

1. On the left side click on your state returns
  2. If PA is the only state listed click on Edit or Continue, whichever shows
  3. Click continue at the "Your Pennsylvania Return"
  4. Click on Update at the Income and Adjustments line (second line)
  5. Continue clicking Done or Continue until you reach the Income from Estates and Trusts page, place a checkmark in the yes box and click Continue
  6. Enter the information needed on the Pennsylvania Income (if different from Federal), click you received an RK-1 and click continue
  7. Click Done and continue answering the continuing questions until you arrive back at the You've Finished screen.

@wbaseley 

wbaseley

Short version: it worked.

I did use the "Estates or trusts" option in federal. I went back in and edited it per your suggestion and yes, indeed, it worked! I got an estate worksheet in the PA section and was able to enter the amount. I then went back to federal and removed the "1" because it cost me a dollar on my federal taxes. 🙂  No change on the state side, and my PA-40 shows the estate income correctly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies