turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bforlizzi

Went to school in NC and worked there part time

my main residence in NJ and I attend college in NC and worked a part time job in NC. When filing a NC state tax return the questions asks Did I make money in NC but did not live there, do I answer yes or no?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes...you did not move there.  Make sure you are filing an NC non-resident tax return.

For tax purposes, you did not become an NC resident.

I can see how that question would be confusing to a college student who is from another state. AS a dependent of your parents, you are only in NC temporarily, and you are not in NC to become a resident ...at least not until you graduate and are completely independent from your parents. 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes...you did not move there.  Make sure you are filing an NC non-resident tax return.

For tax purposes, you did not become an NC resident.

I can see how that question would be confusing to a college student who is from another state. AS a dependent of your parents, you are only in NC temporarily, and you are not in NC to become a resident ...at least not until you graduate and are completely independent from your parents. 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
rwabbit69

Thank you
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies